PHA-Exchange> Human Rights Reader 93: The Rise of Rights (2)

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Sun Dec 26 18:28:00 PST 2004

From: "George Kent" <kent at hawaii.edu>

Here are a few comments.

In relation to paragraph 1:
(gk1) Folks who talk about the human rights-based approach should be
explicit about the reference: it is an approach to what? As I understand
it, it refers to the question of how international agencies, both
governmental and nongovernmental, formulate their programs.
Yes, with few exceptions the international agencies tend to be timid
about human rights. Of course they all proclaim that they support human
rights, but they all do that selectively, if and when and how they wish.
Most of them fail to acknowledge that they too have human rights
obligations, and therefore they too are capable of violating human
rights. I address this issue in an article on "Human Rights Obligations
of International Governmental Organizations" that wiill appear soon in
the UN Chronicle.

In relation to paragrah 2:.
(gk2) Agree. And we should emphasize the fact that one of the most
fundamental requirements of any human rights system is to provide
effective means through which rights holders can seek remedies if they
believe their rights may have been violated. Rights require remedies.

In relation to paragraph 3:
(gk3) Yes. But rights are not simply about resources. They are also about
things like services and appropriate infrastructures. The human right to
adequate food, for example, is not about primarily about the duty of
government to feed people. Rather, it is more fundamentally about the
obligation of government to assure that there are enabling conditions
that allow people to provide for themselves.