PHA-Exchange> Second Announcement PHA 2 Ecuador July 2005

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Fri Dec 17 20:09:51 PST 2004

PEOPLE´S HEALTH ASSEMBLY 2
July 18-23, 2005  Cuenca-Ecuador

Voices from around the world are calling!
Together, let us build a healthy world.

Friends:

On behalf of the Organizing Committee of the People's Health Assembly 2 which will take place in Cuenca on July 18-23, 2005, we are pleased to announce the following:

We are working very hard to make the Second Assembly a process that will encourage all people to participate in the fight for health for all.

We are working on programming, logistics, and pre-assembly events. The various themes must be addressed fully without losing sight of their interconnectedness on a global level. At the same time, we will try to build progressively on the efforts that have been made at a local level in different places in the world.

We will not neglect to look at the themes at the heart of our vision, namely:

- experts will provide objective analyses, using displays and visual aids as much as possible to provide access to all whatever their mother tongue.

- community representatives, health activists, local leaders will tell the story of the fight for health through stories and testimonials. They will speak about of the problems surrounding health issues, how the program came into being, its successes, lessons learned, and its local and global significance.

- photographic exhibitions, drawings, pictures, crafts, posters, sessions, rituals, music, drama, documents, books, videos etc. will also examine the themes.

The themes will form part of the agenda in the plenary sessions of the PHA 2. They will also be addressed in workshops, forums, and seminars. Given their importance
and depending on the level of interest, some themes could become topics in their own right within the framework of the Assembly. Without exception, each session will be planned with specific objectives in mind to allow for follow-up, decision-making, and inclusion in the final strategic plan. At all times, we will strive to reach consensus on matters that will have a lasting impact.

We are calling on all organizations and all peoples to unite as one in this worldwide movement to construct a more viable world, a world where the health of all is a result of solidarity, liberty, and human development.

Yours in solidarity

Arturo Quizhpe P
Coordinator, People's Health Assembly 2
asamblea05 at yahoo.com
Who can participate?

Priority will be given to delegates from organisations and committees that work in the area of health and health-related problems at the local, national, regional, and world level.

How can people participate in the preparations for the Assembly?

- Contribute to the various campaigns in support of health and the wellbeing of all people,

- Organize local, national, and regional meetings in coordination with facilitators of the Movement in their respective country or region,

- Participate in the fact-finding process, in the compilation of testimonials, life stories, case studies, and in the preparation of debate documents,

- Promote unity, resistance to past practices, and coordination between the various groups working for the health and wellbeing of all people,

- Motivate communities and individuals to investigate thoroughly the basic causes of their own health situation so that a process of assessment, analysis and action can begin.

STORIES AND TESTIMONIES

REGISTRATION FORM

Name of the Story / Case Study

Brief Description / Key Words

Type:
Written Story

Songs / Folk music

Video/ Film / Documentary

Poetry

Pictorial Story / Collage

Other: _______________________________________

Name of Author:

Country:

Organisation / Institution (if applicable)

Address:

Telephone:	________________________________
Fax:		________________________________
E-mail:		________________________________
Website:	________________________________

One important aspect of the Second People's Health Assembly will be the presentation of stories and experiences of the people in their struggle for health.

We call upon all activists, academics and health workers around the world, to present stories, case studies, testimonies which illustrate the current problems as well as the creative and successful solutions in the struggle for people's health.

We welcome presentations of stories and testimonies which demonstrate that common and important problems at local levels are determined by global politics.

BASIC PRINCIPLES AND GUIDANCE
The cases must be real and expressed from the point of view of the people concerned, with emphasis on particular problems of health and with an integrated vision.

The stories, case studies and testimonies can have a wide variety of forms of presentation: theatre, videos, documentaries, photographic exhibits, and artistic expressions (textiles, ceramics, poetry).

We recommend that written stories be from 2 to 4 pages and we encourage the inclusion of illustrations (photographs, drawings, maps).
Who can submit testimonies and stories?

All individuals, groups and organizations are welcome to send in their stories.

What will happen next with the stories and testimonies?
All the stories will be part of the People's Health Assembly 2 process in different ways. Some will be presented in the PHA 2 and others will be used as materials for discussions at the local, national and regional meetings. They will also be available on the PHA 2 website and other publications. For these purposes, it is possible that some editorial changes will be made to the stories.

How do you submit a story or testimony?
With the aim of using these experiences in our analytical work and in local, national and regional meetings, it is best to submit them as soon as possible. We welcome receiving before March 31st.; preference will be given to testimonies and case studies received early.

Case studies and innovative solutions to the problems
We are also interested in gathering 'case study' examples which illustrate a variety of experiences and involve the health and other sectors. Case studies can include innovative initiatives which focus on health with a community base; intersectoral proposals to environmental problems, and/or organised actions and movements aimed at resolving and/or facing the great social and economic threats to health. We are especially interested in case studies that have been successful, and demonstrate aspects which can be replicated. But we are also interested in those which include negative experiences or failures that could be and instructive.

Academic and Investigative Papers
We would like to invite some of you to present academic papers, investigation reports, and other analytical materials which you consider to be of exceptional quality and relevance to PHA 2.

All these materials must be sent to the Secretariat of the PHA 2.
asamblea05 at yahoo.com
pha2 at phmovement.org