PHA-Exchange> New Member and the Social Medicine Portal

Andersonma at aol.com Andersonma at aol.com
Fri Dec 10 17:54:38 PST 2004

Dear Friends,

I am a new member of this list-serve, but as a colleague of Dr. Lanny Smith,
I have heard a great deal about the PHM.  I hope that I will learn more.

I wanted to make sure that members of the list-serve know of our website -
www.socialmedicine.org - (the Social Medcine Portal) which Lanny and I have
created to nuture the spirit of activism and social conscience in the medical
community.  Each month we highlight a particular topic and this month our focus is
on medical providers and torture.  The highlight provides links to some
chilling articles about the abuses in Guantanamo and Iraq as well as information on
the duties of doctors in safeguarding prisoners.  Last month, Lanny wrote a
piece on Che Guevara which coincided with the opening of the film "The
Motorcycle Diaries" here in the US.

We are both very interested in publicizing the work of progressive
organizations around the world.  If you would like us to post a link to your
organization, or you would like to write a monthly highlight, please let us know.

In solidarity,

Matt Anderson, MD, MSc
Assistant Professor,
Department of Family and Social Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
718 933-2400 x644
fax: 718 367-8168
www.socialmedicine.org