PHA-Exchange> A view from the Secretariat - Edition 4

PHM - Secretariat secretariat at phmovement.org
Tue Oct 26 05:55:00 PDT 2004

For PHA Exchange

A view from the Secretariat

Edition: 04                                                                                          Oct 20th 2004

Dear Friends,

Continuing with the previous update, this is to keep you informed about some more of the PHM Activities all over the world.

Latin America

International Organising Committee of the 2nd People's Health Assembly held at Cuenca, Ecuador

>From 20th to 24th September 2004 the International Organising committee Members met in Cuenca, Ecuador to take the PHA 2 process forward and to work out the modalities of the same. The members who were present at the meeting were Eduardo Espinoza (Program), Prem John (Logistics), Patricia Morton (Analytical Group), Samuel Ochieng (Regional mobilisation), Unni (Media), Maria Zuniga (Convenor), Arturo Quizhpe (General coordinator of PHA2) and others. Among the things deliberated were the program, communication, regional mobilization for PHA2 etc., For more details contact the pha2secretariat.

Regional conference on MDGs and human rights - Quito, Ecuador

Ms. Ana Quirós Víquez of CISAS, a Latin American Health group connected with PHM, attended the Regional conference on MDGs and Human Rights in Sept 2004. Ms. Ana reports that "in total, around 90 people participated from Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, Argentina and Chile attended the same" and CISAS gave the inputs on health issues like

·       "Vision of health limited to death or disease, nothing of prevention or promotion

·       Sexual and reproductive health and gender violence made invisible in the MDGs

·       Empowerment of women and image transmitted very limited

·       The tackling of health problems takes no notice of economic, social and cultural difficulties, including machismo, especially in the case of maternal mortality and HIV/AIDS".

Contact Ana Quirós Víquez for more details on the same

Europe

European Social Forum, London, 14th to 17th October 2004

The Health Seminars in the European Social Forum was organised by the PHM Europe, European Network for the Right to Health and others. Patricia Morton reports "The seminars were a resounding success. At the first seminar there was standing room only (200 people) and the second (50 people) was also quite well attended despite being at 7 pm on a Friday night". After the Forum PHM-Europe members together with the European Network for the Right to Health and other groups gathered at the Medact office in London to see what work we could plan together. After a full day of discussion in four languages they concluded that although different, the PHM and the European Network had sufficiently similar goals. A joint campaign to fight for the defence of the right to health and against the privatisation of healthcare in Europe was launched. For more details contact Patricia Morton. To receive the regular information about the campaign sign up to Righttohealth-europe-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Asia

Public Hearing on Right to Health Care successfully completed in Eastern Region, India

On October 11th, the public hearing on the denials of health care was held jointly by PHM India and the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) of India in the Eastern region (comprising of the states of Bihar, West Bengal, Chattisgarh, Jharkand, Orissa) in Ranchi, where the cases of denial of health care from all these states were presented before NHRC. Please contact Sundararaman for more details.

A series of Dialogues with the Government on Health Policies, India

A series of dialogues have been organised by the newly elected Government of India on various health policy issues. These include

·       National Advisory Council meeting on Health. (This council advises the union government of India on various policy issues).
·       "Rural Health Mission" for the 150 districts in 17 states of India which have been identified as having poor health status.
·       Towards a network of "Schools of Public Health" in India

Various PHM India members have represented PHM in these dialogues. For more details contact Amit Sen Gupta / Thelma Narayan / Sundararaman

Announcement

The Announcement of the Fourth International Forum in Defence of People's Health, Porto Allegre, Brazil, 23rd -25th Jan 2005 (Also known as the First World Social Forum on Health) has been made. The main focus of the forum would be 'the deep analysis of the political health process of each country, looking for a comprehensive approach that enhances the possibility of alternative projects with wide social and political support'. For more information including the subjects to be covered during the Forum contact Armando De Nigri Filha

Note: PHM Friends are requested to keep sending the information to the secretariat about the PHM related happenings in their regions for us to put it up in this newsletter.

Best wishes

The PHM Secretariat Team

PHM Secretariat (Global)
c/o CHC