PHA-Exchange> REPORT ON THE PREPARATORY MEETING OF PHA 2 - sept 04

Claudio claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Fri Oct 8 23:58:33 PDT 2004

REPORT ON THE INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE MEETING FOR PHA 2 IN CUENCA, ECUADOR

REPORT ON THE INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE MEETING FOR PHA 2 IN CUENCA, ECUADOR

20 - 24 September, 2004

IOC members and responsibilities:

      NAME
     COMMISSION
     COUNTRY

      Eduardo Espinoza
     Program
     El Salvador

      Prem John
     Logistics
     India

      Patricia Morton
     Analytical Group- GHW
     UK

      Samuel Ochieng
     Regional Mobilization
     Kenya

      Unni
     Communications
     India

      Maria Hamlin Zuniga
     Convenor
     Nicaragua

      Arturo Quizphe
     General Coordinator PHA 2
     Ecuador

During the week of September 20th the members of the IOC met with the local and national Organizing Committee members present in Cuenca to discuss advances toward the PHA 2.

Day 1:  We became acquainted with one another first and then spent most of the day reviewing the logistics for the PHA 2 and having the opportunity to see the different venues at the university and in the city centre.  A general evaluation was made of the sites for activities within the PHA 2 and for the satellite activities.  There are an ample number of venues as well as accommodations and restaurants with a wide range of prices.  Visits were made to museums and cultural centres where events will be held during the PHA 2.  The Tourism Ministry made a presentation about Cuenca and the surrounding area, points of historic interest, and cultural diversity.  We could put some of this material on the websites for consultation by possible participants of PHA 2.  Check out the www.iphcglobal.org site where there is information in Spanish already posted.

Day 2.  Press Conference.  In addition to a general press conference, individual interviews were done with radio, TV and the press during the week.  You can take a look at the press conference on the www.iphcglobal.org site in the Spanish version under the "Recortes de Periodicos."

Several local and national commissions met this day and then presented their conclusions and recommendations to the IOC.  These included Commissions working on the Global Forum for Children and the Youth Forum.  These are satellite events that are being organized by groups and organizations who are involved with children and youth in the Province of Azuay where Cuenca is located.

There are special requests from the Commission working on the Children's forum.

1.  The presence of at least one child under 12 years of age from each continent to participate in the special events being planned for children.

2.  A call for videos and movies made for and/or by   children.  We will be sending this announcement out shortly.

The Communications Commission, consisting of local and national representatives, also presented   their proposals.  .  This is the most organized and advanced commission at present.  With excellent input from Unni, considerable advances were made during the week. The Communication report and proposal will be sent separately.

Day 3:  This was a very exciting day with a field trip to the Cañari communities, the original indigenous peoples of this area of Ecuador.  We participated in a series of radio interviews on the Radio Ingapira which is broadcast in Quechua with national coverage.  Then we spent a very long session with the Union of Indigenous Peasant Communities to discuss their involvement in PHA, especially in terms of their intercultural identity.  This was an especially moving meeting and a real exercise in participative democracy with responsible and accountable leadership.  This is something that is lacking in so many organizations.  After the meeting we went to the site of the Ingapirca Temple of the Sun, an archaeological site of the Incan Empire from 1460-1532 AD.

Day 4:  A Seminar-Workshop was held with many of the local and national organizing Committee members to discuss the details of the PHA 2.  After showing the video about PHA 1 we discussed the PHM and the lessons learned from the evaluation process.  This was a contribution from Ceclia Muxi who was one of the evaluators of the PHA/PHM and who was unable to join us in Cuenca.

There was an exchange of experiences between India and Ecuador emphasizing the growth of the PHM in each country.  The objectives of the Global Health Watch were presented and discussed, this being part of the analytical framework for the PHA 2.

Later the Programme Commission met to incorporate ideas from the local, national and international perspective.  A separate report from the Programme Commission will be forthcoming.

Day  5.  This day was spent in the synthesis of group work, agreements, and commitments on the part of the National Front for the Health of the People, the different commissions such as Communications, Programme, Logistics, Youth Forum and Children's Global Forum.

The criteria of participation and the quotas for each region of the world were discussed and agreed upon by the joint committees.

CRITERIA FOR PARTICIPATION IN PHA 2.

These criteria are based on the fact that we are a Movement and this is the Assembly of representatives of the expressions of the PHM around the world.  It allows for the inclusion of groups that may not be in the PHM at the present time, that subscribe to the principles put forth in the People's Charter for Health and that propose to become active in the PHM in the future.

1.  20% of the participants are to be under 25 years of age.  We want to vitalize the PHM with a new generation of activists.

2.  50% of the participants are to be women.

3.  The participants must be representatives of organizations and movements, with clear designation as delegates with a right to decision making in the PHA 2.

4.  Committed to the growth and expansion of the PHM in their communities, organizations and countries.

These criteria are a challenge to all the regional and country facilitators of the PHM who must help insure that criteria are maintained in their areas.

There is a proposal for the number of delegates to the PHA 2 that correspond to the reality of planning and carrying out a global event in one particular area of the world.  See the chart below.

Finally, we are thankful for all the hospitality and attention given to the IOC by the colleagues in Cuenca and also in Quito.  We are confident that with the collective efforts in Ecuador and by the PHM we will have an inspiring and wonderful PHA 2.

MEHZ

[We would like to know how you are planning to disseminate this document to those with no access to computers. Kindly write us a short note on this to pha-exchange at kabissa.org  and keep disseminating future preparatory materials in the same (or even more expanded) way].

      Suggested numbers of "delegates" for PHA 2

      ECUADOR
     300

      SOUTH AMERICA
     250