PHA-Exchange> An Appel

PHM-Secretariat secretariat at phmovement.org
Tue Aug 31 01:57:37 PDT 2004

Dear Friends,

Greetings from PHM Secretariat (Global)!

This is a special appeal to all PHM Friends, members, enthusiasts, contacts for funds / small donations to support our ongoing activities and initiatives so that we can continue to respond with collectivity and solidarity.

>From January 2003, we are experimenting with a 'Friends and Neighbor's Policy', which means that we are requesting members, participants, country circles, regions, not to look only at the secretariat as a source of funds, but also to raise their own funds and even contribute to global activities by the secretariat and support regions that do not have such funs - mediated by the Secretariat. The PHM External Evaluation report, just released in June 2004 notes this policy - "The concept of PHM participants bringing their own contributions to the table to enable things to happen, rather than looking to PHM (particularly the Secretariat) as a source of resources is beginning to be internalized. This focus on contributions is one of the key indicators in determining the strength of a network or a movement".

However, we do need some core funds to run a small secretariat and kick start initiatives like Planning of the Second People's Health Assembly or the Global Health Watch Report. From time to time, we also need small grants to cover the cost of travel for PHM participants from regions and countries with less funds, to ensure that geographical and gender representation is not linked to availability of funds only.

Please send us your donations and contributions - small or big, to Andy Rutherford, One World Action in UK, who facilitates the PHM fund management. Write to him at arutherford at oneworldaction.org, to find out how to send what you wish to contribute.

PHM members have sent us small donations in all sort of way

  a.. One member, who was unable to attend a conference she had hoped to go to, paid for the travel of another member from a disadvantaged region and sent us the fare she had saved!
  b.. Another PHM member got their network to provide some travel / meeting support for another regions's activities at really short notice!
  c.. A third PHM member covered the cost of local accommodation and travel of colleagues from another region staying and attending the same meeting
  d.. A fourth raised some funds from a publisher friend and printed a popular PHM collection of articles into a book and sent us a 1000 copies in lieu of honorarium or royalty. Not a rupee was exchanged!

Our latest urgent need is:

  a.. Funds to start a small PHA II secretariat in Ecuador
  b.. Travel grants to support the participation of members in the PHA II organizing committee from the South and other events
  c.. Sponsorship of New brief issues and some publications

And so the 'little miracles' and the 'larger drops of solidarity' go on (every hundred Euro, Pound, Dollar,Rupee, Rand, Rial or whatever will be welcome. If they come in large packs of 500 or 1000 or more, they will also be most appreciated!!

In solidarity - En Solidaridad

Ravi Narayan