PHA-Exchange> R: Guinea Bissau in HIV and war

sunil.deepak at aifo.it sunil.deepak at aifo.it
Tue Aug 24 01:00:32 PDT 2004

Dear Satya,

The bit about Guinea Bissau in your article interests me - could you please
elaborate on it? Does the research done by the Belgian researcher say that
HIV spread in GBissau in 60s during the independence war or is it a typo?

GBissau got independence in 1975 and since 1978, my organization
(AIFO/Italy) has been working with national authorities in G BIssau, first
with setting up of health system and then with national leprosy-TB
programme. During my visits there over last fifteen years, I think that HIV
arrived there in late eighties or early nineties. I vaguely remember a
research study involving sexual workers in Bissau around 1996, that had
found about 20% of HIV positive sexual workers.

They did have a bad civil war between 1998 to 2001, the effects of which are
still there. Does the Belgian research deals with this second period?

BTW, Guinea Bissau, a small country with around 2 million population, had
the famous Paulo Friere living there and helping the government to set up a
new education system after independence (around 1977-79). He even wrote some
books about this experience. Even if theories of Pauolo Friere are very
inspiring, I have always wondered about the lack of any medium or long term
success of his work in changing the destiny of this tiny nation that is
among the last in human development index today! Wonder if anyone in PHM
knows more about it.

Sunil

Director Medical Support Department
AIFO/Italy