PHA-Exchange> PPEHRC announces Massive Nonviolent Civil Disobedience on Opening Day of the RNC

SAULELYDIS at aol.com SAULELYDIS at aol.com
Sun Aug 22 21:50:09 PDT 2004

Please distribute widely:

POOR PEOPLE'S ECONOMIC HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN ANNOUNCES
MASSIVE NONVIOLENT CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE ON OPENING DAY OF  THE REPUBLICAN
NATIONAL CONVENTION

At a press conference in  front of the Statue of Liberty on August 19th, the
Poor People's Economic  Human Rights Campaign proclaimed that we will not give
up our freedoms  during the Republican National Convention next week.

The  Poor People's Economic Human Rights Campaign will hold our "March for
Our Lives: Stop the War at Home" rally and march from the on Opening Day of
the RNC on August 30th at 4 PM. We will march with or without a  permit.

Despite threats from the NYC Police  Department and false press releases that
have gone out from the NYPD  stating we are marching from the "free speech
zone," the Poor People's Economic  Human Rights Campaign again announced that
poor and homeless families from  across the country will march from Dag
Hammarskjold Plaza at the United  Nations (45th St. and 1st Ave.) to Madison Square
Garden on the opening day  of the Republican National Convention.

We will be marching in a non-violent march from the United Nations to
Madison Square Garden, where we will then issue a citizens' arrest for  George W.
Bush for "crimes against humanity." We will be accompanied by  international
human rights monitors from across the world who  will join us to bear witness to
our attempts to break  the isolation that the poor in this country face
everyday.

"Just as New York erected the Statue of Liberty to welcome the  tired, the
poor, and the homeless to this country, we are sure that all  will be welcome
again this August at the  Republican National Convention.  True freedom in
America means freedom of speech,  freedom to worship your  own God, freedom from
want and freedom from fear. We will march on August  30th from the United
Nations to the doors of the Republican  National  Convention ."  - Cheri Honkala,
National Spokesperson for PPEHRC

See _www.marchforourlives.org_ (http://www.marchforourlives.org)   for more
information.