PHA-Exchange> Call for filmmakers, human rights observers

SAULELYDIS at aol.com SAULELYDIS at aol.com
Wed Aug 11 11:53:29 PDT 2004

El espanol sigue:

A Call for Human Rights Observers, Filmmakers and Journalists:

We ask the international community to accompany us and to film and document
our efforts as poor and homeless families in the United States to organize and
to March for Our Lives against the war taking place here at home. In addition
to human rights observers, we are particularly interested in having
international journalists and filmmakers cover our efforts before, during and after the
Republican National Convention.

To Friends of Human Rights in the International Community:
The Poor in the USA call out for international help

We, the poor, homeless and unemployed, are the victims of some of the
harshest repression here in the United States under Bush. Not only do we suffer from
impoverishment and misery here in the richest country in the world, but also
we have been made to disappear, as our government attempts to keep us
invisible, isolated and disorganized. Our invisibility-the invisibility of the true
conditions of poverty, of human rights violations in the United States - works to
allow the U.S. government to impose its model of profound inequality on us
all on a worldwide level. We have been disappeared into prisons, disappeared
into silence, disappeared from the country's and the world's attention.

The government uses the War On Terror to repress the voices, struggles and
demands of victims of human rights violations here within the United States.
This is how they try to silence and disappear all of us who from within the
empire yell for our lives, and despite the risks, construct a resistance to the
Bush government and its projects.

After the events of September 11, 2001, people in the United States who
attempt to draw attention to the daily terror we live under - the over 18,000
people who die every year because they don't have health care or who freeze to
death in our streets outside mansions because they're homeless - are now seen as
terrorists. Those of us that are poor, suffer a killing invisibility every time
false terror alerts are issued in our country - because people begin to fear
the wrong people. The real people dying daily in the war at home are further
hidden from the rest of the people in our country and the world.

Our lives depend on our speaking out and telling our story to the world: yet
when we speak out we are jailed, threatened, our families are attacked and our
children are taken away by the government. Our families and lives are at risk
either way, but all we have left is our voice, and so this August, as the
Republican National Convention descends on New York City, we the poor of the
United States, a population whose number has grown by the millions under the
government of George W. Bush, will break through the invisibility that has been
forced on us.

>From August 23 to August 30, poor and homeless families from across the
United States, led by the Poor People's Economic Human Rights Campaign, will set up
a tent city called BUSHVILLE in the New York City area. On August 30, 2004,
at 4 PM, thousands of poor and homeless families and others from across the
United States will peacefully march on opening day of the Republican National
Convention from the United Nations at 45th Street and 1st Avenue through downtown
Manhattan to the site of the RNC at Madison Square Garden.

The MARCH FOR OUR LIVES: STOP THE WAR AT HOME will show for the world the
miserable conditions and human rights violations being suffered by people in the
United States, as both parties have abandoned the poor. We will march because,
as poverty, hunger, unemployment and homelessness grow throughout this
country, we have been abandoned by our political leaders from both parties, and we
cannot afford to be silent. We cannot afford to be "disappeared" from the
public eye and the political debates as our families suffer.

While the US government continues to make war and hurt people around the
world, it is committing grave human rights violations against its own people as
well, implementing economic policies that impoverish and kill people across the
US (homelessness, unemployment, denial of health care, water and heat, food,
education). THE REAL WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION ARE THE POLICIES THAT HAVE
IMPOVERISHED MILLIONS OF PEOPLE IN THE UNITED STATES AND AROUND THE WORLD.

The March For Our Lives will expose to the world the true weapons of mass
destruction, the true source of terror in both the US and the world. During the
week-long Bushville, we will be highlighting the WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION
which exist in our country, and which are being used to violate human rights in
this country and around the world. At Bushville, we will be taking
international and U.S. human rights observers on special "Reality Tours" in which we will
expose these true WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION to be documented by the
international human rights community.

The poor, those who suffer the most in the US are fighting from within to
defeat this administration and this system-to destroy these true weapons of mass
destruction-but we cannot do it alone. We need the support and intervention of
the international community.

We send out an urgent call to the national and international community to
send HUMAN RIGHTS OBSERVERS, journalists and filmmakers to Bushville and to the
March for Our Lives: Stop the War at Home. NOW MORE THAN EVER, we need the eyes
of the international human rights community to be on the United States, to
ensure that we are able to get our message out to the nation and to the world
about the suffering of the poor in the richest country in the world, so that the
whole world knows about the failures and the inhumanity inherent in this
economic model. We believe that the existence of strong resistance and
organization of poor people-the most oppressed within the empire-is key to overcome this
model and the powers that promote and defend it, not only in our country, but
also around the world. For this reason, we are organizing a movement, led by
the poor, to ensure economic human rights in the US.

In these both dangerous and opportune circumstances, we continue uniting to
be ever stronger with the struggles of the poor throughout the world, because
our struggle is one and the same. At the same time, we realize that this
political and economic period that we are living in the United States gives us
opportunities to organize that have not existed before. We must take advantage of
this moment to make the long-term resistance grow in the US. The Poor People's
Economic Human Rights Campaign takes very seriously the strategic
possibilities and responsibility that this moment in history presents to us, and in
particular to the organized poor within the belly of the beast. We believe that the
March For Our Lives can be an important step in the construction of this
movement. But only with the support, vigilance, and protection of the international
community can this growing movement for economic human rights in the US be
able to grow and continue forward to put an end to the terror that we are
living. Recognizing this, we send this urgent call to the world, that the whole
world accompanies us on the 30th of August, on the March For Our Lives.

Please see www.kwru.org or contact Jen Cox at kwru at kwru.org for more
information on being a human rights observer or about documenting at Bushville and the
March for Our Lives this August in New York City. For those who cannot
attend, please send letters of support to Bushville and the March. Check
www.marchforourlives.org for daily updates and photos from Bushville, the March on the
30th, and our daily efforts to organize in the poor in the US and unite with
poor peoples movements around the world.

Los Pobres de los Estados Unidos Gritan por Ayuda Internacional

A:  Amigos de los Derechos Humanos en la Comunidad Internacional

Por Cheri Honkala, coordinadora y portavoz nacional de la Campana de los
Pobres por los Derechos Humanos Economicos en los EEUU

Nosotros los pobres, las familias sin hogar y los desempleados somos victimas
de la repression mas fuerte en los Estados Unidos bajo Bush. No solo es que
sufrimos del empobrecimiento y de una miseria que nos mata aqui en el pais mas
rico del mundo, pero tambien se nos han hecho desaparecer. Nuestro gobierno
trata de mantenernos invisibles, aislados y desorganizados.. Nuestra
invisibilidad - la invisibilidad de las verdaderas condiciones de pobreza, de las
violaciones a los derechos humanos en los EEUU - sirve para que el gobierno
estaounidense pueda imponer su modelo de desigualdad profunda a nivel mundial. Pues nos
han desaparecido en las carceles, nos han desaparecido al silencio y al
olvido, nos han desaparecido de la atencion del pais y del mundo.

Ademas, ahora el gobierno ha aprovechado la llamada "guerra en contra del
terror" para reprimir las voces, las luchas y las demandas de los victimas de
violaciones de los derechos humanos aqui en los Estados Unidos. Asi intentan
callarnos y desaparecernos los que desde al dentro del imperio gritamos por
nuestras vidas, los que a pesar de los riesgos, construimos la resistencia al
gobierno Bush desde al dentro. Despues de los eventos del 11 de septiembre, 2001,
los de nosotros en los Estados Unidos que intentamos llamar la atencion al
terror diario que vivimos - las 18,000 personas que se mueren cada ano porque no
tienen cuidado de salud o los que se mueren del frio en las calles fuera de
mansiones porque estan sin hogar - ahora se nos ve como terroristas. Los de
nosotros que somos pobres sufrimos una invisibilidad matante cada vez que se saca
alertas falsas de terror en nuestro pais - porque el resto de la poblacion
empiezan a tener miedo de la gente incorrecta. Los que se mueren a diario en la
guerra domestica en los Estados Unidos somos escondidos cada vez mas del resto de
la gente de nuestro pais y del mundo.

Nuestras vidas dependen en que hablemos y en que contemos nuestra historia al
mundo; pero cuando alzamos nuestras voces, nos encarcelan, nos amenazan,
atacan nuestras familias y el gobierno nos quita los hijos. De una manera u otra,
nuestras familias y nuestras vidas estan en riesgo, pero lo unico que nos
queda son nuestras voces. Pues a fin de este mes, agosto de 2004, cuando el
partido republicano de los Estados Unidos lleva a cabo su convencion nacional en la
Ciudad de Nueva York, nosotros los pobres de los EEUU, una poblacion que ha
aumentado por millones bajo Bush, romperemos la invisibilidad que nos han
impuesto.

Del dia 23 al 30 de agosto, familias pobres y sin vivienda de todas partes de
los Estados Unidos, liderado por la Campana de los Pobres por los Derechos
Humanos Economicos, construiremos un campamento llamado BUSHVILLE en el area de
la Cuidad de Nueva York. El 30 de agosto de 2004, familias pobres y sin
vivienda y otros de todas partes de los EEUU marcharemos non-violentamente el dia de
inicio de la Convencion Nacional Republicana. Marcharemos desde la sede de la
Organizacion de las Naciones Unidas a traves del centro de la ciudad hacia el
sitio de la Convencion Nacional Republicana en Madison Square Garden.

La MARCHA POR NUESTRAS VIDAS: ALTO A LA GUERRA DOMESTICA le expondra al mundo
las condiciones miserables y las violaciones a los derechos humanos sufridas
actualmente por la gente de los EEUU, mientras que ambos los partidos
politicos han abandonado los pobres. Marcharemos porque, mientras que la pobreza, el
hambre, el desempleo y la falta de vivienda hayan aumentado en todas partes del
pais, nos han abandonado los lideres politicos de ambos partidos. No podemos
quedarnos callados; no podemos permitir que se nos desaparezca de la vista del
publico y de los debates politicos mientras que sufran nuestras familias.

Mientras que el gobierno de los Estados Unidos imponga la guerra y las
violaciones de los derechos humanos en contra de la gente alrededor del mundo, a la
vez esta cometiendo violaciones graves en contra de los derechos humanos de su
propia gente, al implementar politicas que empobrecen y matan a gente
alrededor de los EEUU (hambre, desempleo, falta de vivienda, salud, educacion, agua y
calefaccion).. Los armas verdaderos de "Destruccion Masiva" son las politicas
que han dejado a millones de personas sin vivienda, agua, comida,
calefaccion, salud y educacion en nuestro pais y alrededor del mundo.

La Marcha por Nuestras Vidas le expondra al mundo estas verdaderas armas de
destruccion masiva, la verdadera fuente de terror en el mundo, tanto en los
EEUU que en el exterior. Durante el campamento "Bushville"  que durara una
semana, estaremos exponiendo los ARMAS DE DESTRUCCION MASIVA que existen en nuestro
pais y que se esta usando para violar los derechos humanos en este pais y
alrededor del mundo. Desde Bushville llevaremos a los observadores internacionales
en una "Gira de la Realidad" en que expondremos esos ARMAS DE DESTRUCCION
MASIVA para que la comunidad internacional los documente.

Los pobres, los mas sufridos en los EEUU estamos luchando desde al dentro
para derrotar a esta administracion y este sistema - para acabar con estos armas
de destruccion masiva - pero no podemos hacerlo solos. Necesitamos el apoyo y
la intervencion de la comunidad internacional.

Asi que hacemos una llamada urgente a la comunidad internacional a que se
mande observadores y defensores de los derechos humanos, filmadores y periodistas
a Bushville y a la Marcha por Nuestras Vidas: Alto a La Guerra Domestica.
AHORA MAS QUE NUNCA, necesitamos que los ojos de la comunidad internacional de
los derechos humanos se enfoquen en los Estados Unidos, para asegurar que
podamos sacarle a la nacion y al mundo nuestro mensaje sobre el sufrimiento de los
pobres en el pais mas rico del mundo, para que el mundo sepa del fracaso y de
la inhumanidad de este modelo economico. Consideramos de que la existencia de
resistencia y organizacion fuerte de los pobres, de los mas oprimidos al dentro
del imperio, es clave para vencer a este modelo y a los poderes que lo
promueven y defienden, no solo en nuestro pais sino alrededor del mundo. Asi que nos
estamos organizando en este movimiento, liderado por los pobres, para los
derechos humanos economicos en los EEUU.

En esta coyuntura de mucho peligro y de muchas oportunidades, nos seguimos
uniendo cada vez mas fuertemente, con las luchas de los pobres del mundo, porque
nuestra lucha es la misma. A la vez, vemos que este momento politico y
economico que vivimos en los Estados Unidos nos da oportunidades organizativas que
no han existido antes. Hay que aprovechar el momento para lograr hacer crecer
la resistencia a largo plazo en los Estados Unidos. La Campana de los Pobres
por los Derechos Humanos Economicos toma muy en serio las posibilidades y
responsibilidades estrategicas que este momento en la historia nos da a nosotros y
en particular a los pobres organizados dentro de la barriga de la bestia.
Creemos que la Marcha por Nuestras Vidas puede ser un paso importante en la
construccion de este movimiento. Pero solamente sera con el apoyo, la vigilancia y la
proteccion de la comunidad internacional, que este movimiento naciente por
los derechos economicos en los EEUU podra crecer y seguir adelante para ponerle
fin al terror que todos estamos viviendo. Reconociendo eso, sacamos esta
pedida urgente al mundo a que nos acompanen el 30 de agosto.

Favor de ver www.kwru.org o comunicarse con Jen Cox a kwru at kwru.org para
mayor informacion sobre como hacerse observador internacional de los DDHH durante
la Marcha por Nuestras Vidas este agosto en la Cuidad de Nueva York en los
Estados Unidos. A los que no puedan asistir, pedimos cartas de apoyo al Bushville
y la Marcha. Vean el sitio web www.marchforourlives.org para actualizaciones
diarias y fotos de Bushville, de la marcha el dia 30 y de nuestros esfuerzos
diarios de organizar los pobres en los EEUU y de unirnos con los movimientos de
los pobres del mundo.