PHA-Exchange> From charity to rights: proposal for five action areas of global health -

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Wed Jul 21 09:20:46 PDT 2004

>From charity to rights: proposal for five action areas of global health

Ilona Kickbusch
Yale University / PAHO/WHO Pan American Health Organization / World
Health Organization
Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2004;58:655-658- August
2004 (Volume 58, Number 8)

Towards a global social contract on health:
http://jech.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/58/8/630

"......We have reached a point where we need to make a choice of what
kind of model of global public health we want to promote. It was one of
the characteristics of modernity to take health out of the confines of
religion and charity and make it a key element of the action of the
state and the rights of citizenship. This process, initially within the
context of the constitution of the nation state, today needs to go
global as a key dimension of global justice.

The International Labour Organization with its recent report on
globalization has presented some first steps in this direction. With
such a perspective we can see that the present global drive for access
to AIDS medicines for developing nations is not just about health, it is
the spearhead of a global citizenship movement that has recognised that
global health needs to move out of the charity mode of bilateral aid and
philanthropy into the realm of rights, citizenship, and a global
contract. With this in mind I would like to propose five key action
areas for a global public health:

1 DEFINE HEALTH AS A GLOBAL PUBLIC GOOD
2 ACCEPT HEALTH AS A KEY COMPONENT OF GLOBAL SECURITY
3 STRENGTHEN GLOBAL HEALTH GOVERNANCE FOR INTERDEPENDENCE
4 ACCEPT HEALTH AS A KEY FACTOR OF SOUND BUSINESS PRACTICE AND SOCIAL
5 ACCEPT THE ETHICAL PRINCIPLE OF HEALTH AS GLOBAL
CITIZENSHIP.........."

Related Material:
Review of a New Book - Global public health: a new era
Douglas W Bettcher
J Epidemiol Community Health 2004; 58: 723. [Full text]
<http://jech.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/58/8/723>