PHA-Exchange> People's Charter on HIV/Aids ---INTL AIDS conference (The Nation- Bangkok 02 July)

S.Minkin smink at sover.net
Thu Jul 8 07:25:57 PDT 2004

 July 8, 2004
  Dear PHA friends:

  I am sorry I cannot arrive in Bangkok in time for your deliberations on the HIV/AIDS charter. I would greatly appreciate it if you would find the time to consider this addition to the document:

  "The routes of HIV infection and the tools for prevention are universal. HIV is transmitted medically, sexually and through unsafe IV drug user practices. The recognition of the dangers of medical transmission, while scrupulously acknowledged where rates of HIV infections have stabilized or slowed, is missing or sporadic where the pandemic is most devastating. Safe health care, a basic human right, has not been a priority in internationally funded HIV prevention efforts. This double standard frustrates the achievement of HIV prevention. The elimination of infection risks to both patients and health care workers, must be a central component in the planning and implementation of HIV prevention efforts worldwide."

  I will see you later this week. I am arriving the 11th evening.

  Best wishes,

  Steve Minkin