PHA-Exchange> Income inequality and health: what have learned so far?

claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn claudio at hcmc.netnam.vn
Sun Jul 4 05:55:24 PDT 2004

 from "Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC)" <ruglucia at PAHO.ORG> -----

Income Inequality and Health: What Have We Learned So Far?

S. V. Subramanian and Ichiro Kawachi

Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of
Public Health, Boston, MA.

Epidemiologic Reviews, 2004 by the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of
Public Health

Vol. 26, 2004 DOI: 10.1093/epirev/mxh003

"......In this paper, we review the published multilevel studies of
income inequality and health. Although the published

evidence so far is by no means conclusive about the relation between
income distribution and population health, our aim

is to draw attention to some emerging patterns in the accumulated
findings and to suggest future directions for

research in this topic. We start, however, by briefly rehearsing the
conceptual basis for the relation between

income inequality and health. Since the most common statistic that is
used to measure income inequality is the Gini

coefficient, we also outline a brief description of this measure...."

This mail sent through Netnam-HCMC ISP: http://www.hcmc.netnam.vn/