PHA-Exchange> An open letter to Dr Prem and other friends going to Bangkok

S.Minkin smink at sover.net
Wed Jun 23 20:58:46 PDT 2004

Dear Dr. John and other friends,

Since the first PHA meeting in Savar, I had hoped that the PHM would explicitly highlight the importance of Safe Health Care in HIV prevention. This issue was taken up by the first East Africa People Health Movement meeting in Dar Es Salaam which adopted the slogan "Equality Equals Quality; Quality Equals Equality".

Perhaps you and the others going to Bangkok can find the time to read " Rich and Poor Theories of HIV Transmission," an article that appeared some time ago on the PHA exchange. The article is too long to append to the end of this  message but I will happily send it as an attachment  to anyone who is interested.

In the article I refer to the attitudes that allow squalid conditions to persist on the Obstetrics Ward at Dhaka Medical College which sadly are all too universal.

"Let the rich soak up the medical resources, and don't worry about neglecting the poor because they are not subject to the same germ theory of disease. "

We must acknowledge that HIV is transmitted in the same ways in Africa, Latin America and Asia as it is in the West. Blood, needles and invasive medical procedures can and do spread HIV infections. That does not mean shying away from sexual issues but agreeing that people are also exposed to HIV risk because of poor quality health care.

Dr Prem, I am sure that you and most of our colleagues understand this. Nonetheless Safe Health Care seems to be hidden or missing in the PHM/HIV agenda.

I urge you and the PHM/HIV working group to ensure that Health Safely has proper prominence in our approach to HIV prevention.

Best wishes,

Steve Minkin