PHA-Exchange> Congratulation India

Mathura P Shrestha mathura at healthnet.org.np
Fri May 14 16:05:58 PDT 2004

Dear Prem, Hari, Alok and All

I wish that the new and upcoming government of India will not fall in the trap, as in the past, of "glittering development model" prescribed by the West and MNCs to suit their own purpose at the expense of the peoples and nations in the so called developing world. I also hope that the leaders in the new government will see through the mistakes of the past governments including those of Congress and BJP. Development can not be a product of a rat race of 'expert' or 'technocrat' Pandits who see 'stars' or alien models or market rhetoric but not the ground realities upon which they stand and have to stand. Now is the time that they learn from the past mistakes of patch works in political and economic maneuvering but manage holistically with determination to bring about political, economic, social and cultural transformation to benefit All without distinction of any attributes or discrimination against any. Now is the time for any government to stop to prescribe, under any pretext, a process that makes the rich richer and the poor poorer.

I venture to write this as I think that India has to govern not only its peoples and places along with their development needs and problems but also its image. We in neighboring countries have a lot of expectations as well as fears from it.

Mathura P. Shrestha