PHA-Exchange> Poor in U.S. to Protest Republican Convention

SAULELYDIS at aol.com SAULELYDIS at aol.com
Mon Feb 23 18:02:49 PST 2004

Poor People's Economic Human Rights Campaign (PPEHRC) announces plans for
Bushville Tent City and March For Our Lives on Opening Day of the Republican
National Convention in New York City

In a national press conference held at the Center for Constitutional Rights
(CCR) in New York City on Thursday, February 19, leaders of the Poor People's
Economic Human Rights Campaign from New York City and across the country
announced plans to protest at the Republican National Convention.

During the week preceeding the Republican National Convention, which starts
on August 30th of this year, the Poor People's Economic Human Rights Campaign
(PPEHRC) will erect a Bushville Tent City at an undisclosed location near the
site of the convention. Throughout the week, PPEHRC organizers will be taking
members of the national and international media, the human rights community,
religious people and others on Reality Tours of New York, New Jersey and
Philadelphia, showing the true face of economic human rights violations occurring
across this country.

On opening day of the Republican National Convention, August 30th, at 4 PM,
the PPEHRC will lead a massive non-violent "March for Our Lives: Stop the War
at Home" from the United Nations at 45th and 1st Avenue through downtown
Manhattan toward the site of the RNC at Madison Square Garden. In the words of KWRU
founder and PPEHRC national organizer Cheri Honkala:

" We will march because both the Republicans and Democrats have ignored the
plight of poor and we will march to highlight the war at here at home. A war
caused by the massive job losses and people without housing and healthcare and
the other basic necessities of life."

Speakers at the press conference included Cheri Honkala, KWRU founder and
National Organizer of the Poor People's Economic Human Rights Campaign (PPEHRC),
New York resident and actor Mark Webber of the Kensington Welfare Rights Union
(KWRU), and leaders of PPEHRC organizations: Roland Emerson of the Deaf &
Deaf-Blind Committee on Human Rights in Ohio (DDBCHR), Ethel Long-Scott of
Women's Economic Agenda Project (WEAP) in California, Galen Tyler and Carolyn Caesar
of the KWRU in Pennsylvania, Rachle Hamilton and Kieran Holcombe of the
Loring Nicolett Alternative High School in Minneapolis, and Jennifer Jewell and
Kyauna Black of Women in Transition in Louisville Kentucky. Also speaking at the
press conference were Peter Weiss, of the Center for Constitutional Rights,
Reverend Dr. Paul Chapman of The Employment Project in New York City, Bill Kane
of the New Jersey State Industrial Union Council, and Bob Brown of the newly
founded Health Care Human Rights Network.

"We are no longer going to sit back and take this abuse. It's time for us to
stand up and fight for our rights!"

- Roland Emerson, Deaf & Deaf-Blind Committee on Human Rights, Ohio

"Just as Dr. King warned in his final days, the soul of America is tortured
because we are being forced to live in a society that denies compassion,
dehumanizes our neighbors and puts all of us in jeopardy. IN THE FACE OF ESCALATING
WAR AT HOME WE ARE MARCHING FOR OUR ECONOMIC HUMAN RIGHTS!"

- Ethel Long-Scott, Women's Economic Agenda Project (WEAP), California

The events in August will be organized by and joined by the wide range of
more than 100 organizations belonging to the PPEHRC, including, in addition to
the ones listed above, the Coalition of Immokalee Workers, the Chicago Coalition
to Protect Public Housing and dozens of other member organizations, unions
and others. In addition, the PPEHRC events have already gained the widespread
support of organizations and movements around the world, including many who
attended the recent World Social Forum and International Forum for the Defense of
People's Health, both held in Mumbai, India this past January.

Later that evening, the PPEHRC organizations, local PPEHRC organizers
andartists and other friends of the PPEHRC gathered in Brooklyn for a cultural event.
Award-winning NYC playwrite and actor, and KWRU member, Tim Dowlin ran the
event, which featured poetry, songs, rap and other art by leaders in the
movement for economic human rights from across the country.