PHA-Exchange> Rebuttal to 'How Vitamins Could Change the World' (2)

Aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Fri Jan 23 08:49:42 PST 2004

From: Vandana Prasad <chaukhat at yahoo.com>

I find it extremely offensive and alarming that this
piece speaks of all kinds of strategies, but doesn't
acknowledge the general state of malnutrition as a
specific and main cause plus nowhere mentioning
the right to food and food security as a strategy to
combat 'micronutrient deficiency'.
This tendency to medicalise this particular issue and
present it as a problem isolated from malnutrition
requiring intervention with food 'fortification' and
multivitamins should be strongly resisted though I am
by no means against the latter strategies in any
blanket way.
I hope the Unicef circle will speak up for the People's Health Movement.

Vandana Prasad
pediatrician