PHA-Exchange> Papers Needed: "Peace as a Global Language", "Counseling Around the World", et al

James M Nordlund jamesmnordlund at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 23:43:09 PST 2004

To All,

Alo!  Happy New Year!  "From: Lawrence Gerstein<Rangzen at AOL.COM>
Subject:  [DIV17] Papers Needed: "Counseling Around the World"
To: DIV17 at LISTS.APA.ORG
Just a reminder as Jan 31 deadline is approaching!
The Journal of Mental Health Counseling will publish a special issue
tentatively titled, "Counseling Around the World." The Guest Editors for
this issueare Dr. Larry Gerstein and Dr. Stefania AEgisdottir of Ball
State University,Dep't of Counseling Psychology & Guidance Services,
Muncie, Indiana, USA.Thisissue will provide an in-depth discussion and
analysis of the status ofcounseling outside of North America. As such,
empirical, conceptual, and appliedmanuscripts are welcomed, for example,
on the following topics: the "state" of counseling outside of North
America; how counseling is perceived in countries throughout the world;
how counseling can (and does) serve the needs of people outside of North
America; how counseling outside of North America is shaped by cultural
values, norms, expectations, behaviors, and social structures; the
personal, cultural, legal, and political obstacles and strengths
experienced by people living outside of North America; the potential
personal, societal, and cultural dangers of simply implementing a mental
health delivery system around the world based on North American
assumptions about human behavior, culture, psychology, education, and
counseling; what we can learn from the science and practice of counseling
outside of North America and the culture it is based on; and how
counselors are trained outside of North America. Papers
on other topics related to the overall theme are also welcomed.
Interested authors should submit five printed copies of their paper by
January 31, 2004, to Gerstein & AEgisdottir, Ball State University, Dep't
of Counseling Psychology & Guidance Services, TC622, Muncie, Indiana,
47306-0585, USA or email their manuscript as a word document attachment to
Rangzen at aol.com. Note, we prefer if authors email their paper. Further
information: Please share this announcement with potential
Rangzen at aol.com. contributors."

"call for papers - Peace as a Global Language, Kyoto - September
2004; Call for Presentations the 3rd annual Peace as a Global Language
Conference September 24th, 25th and 26th 2004 at the Kyoto Museum for
World Peace Ritsumeikan University in Kyoto, Japan
The Peace as a Global Language Conference (PGL) invites educators,
students, activists and others interested in peace and global studies
to submit presentation proposals to our third annual conference.  We
especially welcome presentations that include innovative
teaching/learning approaches developed on the following general themes:
  Education
  Government/policy
  Peace/security
  Environment
  Health
  Global issues
  Gender
  Human rights
  Alternative Education
  Multicultural issues
  Teaching/learning issues
  International/comparative studies
Session formats include, but are not limited to; panel discussions,
workshops, research presentations, slide/video shows, and poster
sessions. We encourage submissions which indicate progressive
presentations methods.  We propose two basic formats whereby; seven or
eight of the above topics will be chosen to form 5-person moderated
panel sessions lasting 2 hours each. Each panelist will speak briefly,
allowing maximum time for interactive discussion. The alternative
format will be through concurrent sessions of 1hour in length, whereby
individual or joint presentation are encouraged.
To be considered for PGL III, please submit the following:
1. name(s), postal address(es), telephone/fax number and email addresses
2. language of presentation - Japanese, English  or bilingual
3. title of presentation (less than 45 Japanese characters or 15  English
words)
4. summary of presentation (less than 150 Japanese characters or 50
    English words)
5. presentation type - workshop, lecture with Q&A, demonstration,
    panel, poster session or alternative
6. preferred length of session - part of a 5-person 2-hour panel or
    1-hour concurrent session
7. preferred presentation day - Friday, Saturday or Sunday
8. presentation needs – OHP, VCR, DVD, projector etc
All submissions should be sent by e-mail to:
Dr. John T. Denny, Kyoto University <kyotopgl2004 at yahoo.com>
Deadline for submissions: March 15th, 2004
Notification of Decisions: On/around April 30, 2004 via email
Detailed conference information can be found on our website (not yet
updated): http://www.eltcalendar.com/pgl2004
NOTE: This conference is primarily self-supporting. Therefore, we ask
that you submit a proposal only if you will be able to register for the
conference at the appropriate fee (3000 yen/person and 800 yen for
students). In cases of financial hardship, the Peace as a Global
Language conference may be able to provide very limited financial
support or accommodations to support select presenters; please download
our conference poster and distribute it widely:  (jpg format, 1000k in
size) http://www.geocities.com/kyotopgl2004/pgl3poster.jpg
for possible conference sponsors please read the following:
http://www.geocities.com/kyotopgl2004/sponsorshipdescription.html
John T. Denny M.S.Ed., Ph.D.; International Development Studies
 Kyoto University Graduate School of Human and Environmental Sciences
 http://www.geocities.com/timdenny66/resume.html  "

"From: "Jinankb" <jinankb at eth.net> Subject: Re: Re:
learningsocietiesconference; Hi I would like to share with you the plan
for setting up a learning centre in my village in Kerala.  Do respond.I
would like to take forward the idea of setting up a learning centre for
the dropouts in my village.I am planning to set up a learning centre in
the village to support informal as well as formal learning.I am planning
to do this for the 'drop outs and potential drop outs. The age group is
from 11 to 16. We need to do bit of compromises to get the parents to send
children to me.Schools provide food in the afternoon and a small
stipend.This I will have to give the students.What I have in mind is to
get children to learn various general skills like simple farming, cooking,
house repair, carpentry/electical connection/motor mechanism, swimming,
cycling, pottery, etc., and language and mathematics, computer, etc.
Incase the children want to do degree etc that also needs to be
supported. A small library, instuments and tools, etc., is also required.
Do help me to formulate a proposal.I will require support in building a
small house with 4 rooms to serve the purpose of office/store/library and
theory sessions.The children will be out in the community doing various
things and the village is the class room.Another expence is for an
adminstrator and teachers who will be hired for teaching various subjects
once in a while.  One guest room is then required as these teachers will
be comming for short stays.Do send me your reactions.  Jinan "
For those interested :)  "of or pertaining to the morning, day :)
relating to or happening in the morning or in the early part of the day (
formal ), (Mid-16th century, from late Latin matutinalis, from Matuta,
goddess of the dawn.)".  Viva la evolution!  As always, feel free to copy
and share, as well.  Thanx!  Enjoy a festive eve' and holidays as you can.
Ciao, for now.

Matutinally Yours,             james m nordlund    reality (aja) :)