PHA-Exchange> A Christmas thought on "Providing the world with clean water"

Aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Thu Dec 25 08:22:18 PST 2003

From: TBC <tbc at TheBellsConsultants.net>

This analysis of water ressources is limited in its grounding
hypothesis: that "Fresh water is a finite source, making up less than
1%
of the earth's total water" But this hypothesis assumes that human
technology plays no part in defining what is "a natural ressource". It
is Malthusian in essence.
For the same could be said, and often is, of anything and everything
that is defined nowadays as a "natural ressource", notably land.
I would like to refer to Economics Nobel Prize Amartya Sen who has
demonstrated that Malthus was wrong in his dire prediction that
population growth would outstrip food production. Today enough food is
produced, the problem is unjust, inadequate distribution which is the
cause of famine. (see his article in the New York Review of Books)
The same is true for water.
Only what Thorstein Veblen called "The Predatory Class" is preventing
all humans on earth from having the necessary food, water, education
and
basic health needs met.
In this Chrismas day, let us remember that only greed prevents all of
us
from enjoying our Humanity.
What defines a public good - said a wise Segenalese professor at the
CERN conference recently - is that the more it is shared the more
wealth is created! That is sound economics!
If we organized our inventions and our man-defined natural ressources
more intelligently and equitably, we had all be many times richer!

Nance