PHA-Exchange> AFRICA/GLOBAL: HOW MEDICAL GIANTS HOODWINK JOURNALS

George Lessard (s) media at web.net
Sat Dec 20 09:35:19 PST 2003

AFRICA/GLOBAL: HOW MEDICAL GIANTS HOODWINK JOURNALS
http://news.hst.org.za/view.php3?id=20031211
Pharmaceutical giants hire ghostwriters to produce articles - then put
doctors' names on them. Hundreds of articles in medical journals
claiming to be written by academics or doctors have been penned by
ghostwriters in the pay of drug companies, an Observer inquiry reveals.
The journals, bibles of the profession, have huge influence on which
drugs doctors prescribe and the treatment hospitals provide. But The
Observer has uncovered evidence that many articles written by so-called
independent academics may have been penned by writers working for
agencies which receive huge sums from drug companies to plug their
products.
---

Via / Excerpted / By / From / Thanks to:

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

PAMBAZUKA NEWS IS PUBLISHED BY FAHAMU
In Association With SANGONeT
Fahamu - learning for change
14, Standingford House, Cave Street, Oxford OX4 1BA, UK
620 Overport City, Durban 4001, South Africa
info at fahamu.org
http://www.fahamu.org
info at fahamu.org.za
http://www.fahamu.org.za

SANGONeT: http://www.sn.apc.org

Editorial Board: Firoze Manji (Fahamu), Patrick Burnett (Fahamu),
Rotimi Sankore, (CREDO info at credonet.org)

Pambazuka News is hosted at Kabissa
1519 Connecticut Avenue NW Suite 301, Washington DC, 20036 USA
info at kabissa.org
http://www.kabissa.org

SUBMITTING NEWS: send to editor at pambazuka.org

SUBSCRIBE
The Newsletter comes out weekly and is delivered to subscribers by
e-mail. Subscription is free. To subscribe, send an e-mail to
<pambazuka-news-request at pambazuka.org> with only the word 'subscribe'
in the subject or body. To subscribe online, visit:

FAIR USE
This Newsletter is produced under the principles of 'fair use'. We
strive to attribute sources by providing direct links to authors and
websites. When full text is submitted to us and no website is provided,
we make the text available on our website via a "for more information"
link. Please contact editor at pambazuka.org immediately regarding
copyright issues.

The views expressed in this newsletter, including the signed
editorials, do not necessarily represent those of Fahamu

(c) Fahamu 2003

(c)info
http://tinyurl.com/jkkw
http://members.tripod.com/~media002/disclaimer.htm
Due to the nature of email & the WWW, check ALL sources.
http://tinyurl.com/h4m7
http://media002.tripod.com/
(Gandhi)