PHA-Exchange> vaccine shortage due to for-profit health care

SAULELYDIS at aol.com SAULELYDIS at aol.com
Fri Dec 19 08:18:43 PST 2003

I don't know if this is happening elsewhere (although I imagine it is, given
the control of the US of the world market), but in the United States right
now, lack of basic vaccines is a major problem. From the following article,"
Vaccines are not profitable enough for most drug makers to bother with, experts
say."

Jen Cox
Kensington Welfare Rights Union, United States

Vaccine Shortage Seen as Evidence of Ailing Strategy
Full article: December 11, 2003, Page A03, Philadelphia Inquirer, The (PA)

Source: Seth Borenstein INQUIRER WASHINGTON BUREAU

The current U.S. flu-vaccine shortage - one of seven vaccine shortages in the
last two years - is just the latest symptom of an ailing national vaccination
strategy, say public-health experts and two federal reports.Vaccines are not
profitable enough for most drug makers to bother with, experts say.

"Our vaccine system is broke in that we're having these shortages," Frank
Sloan, a Duke University health economics professor, said yesterday as federal
officials scrounged for

Published on December 11, 2003, Page A03, Philadelphia Inquirer, The (PA)