PHA-Exchange> R: More on DDT use

sunil.deepak at aifo.it sunil.deepak at aifo.it
Mon Dec 15 00:52:17 PST 2003

Dear all,

The message by Leslie London also said:

<<A recognition that the resurgence of malaria has as much to do with the
political economy of countries in the "developing" world (particularly
Southern Africa) as it has to do with insecticide (pyrethroid) resistance.>>

I had a question, which is different from the DDT debate - what is the
substance used for insectide treated bednets? I thought it was pyrethroid or
its derivatives. Does that mean that insectide treated bednets are less
effective because of this resistance?

I also agree with Leslie London's view - it is not just views of western
enviornmentalists versus public-health in developing countries, but it is
important to consider, why does DDT continue to be the only affordable
insecticide for malaria control for developing countries?

Best wishes,

Sunil