PHA-Exchange> Global Business Coalition teams up with Global Fund

Aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Sun Dec 7 19:46:14 PST 2003

Global Business Coalition teams up with Global Fund

"The partnership brings the U.N.-backed Global Fund to Fight
AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria together with the Global Business
Coalition on HIV/AIDS -- which includes almost 130 international
businesses.

Nine firms have already pledged to use their resources in poor
countries where they operate, though there are no details of how
much they will invest."

US Sees Quick Response to Africa's AIDS War
By REUTERS

Published: December 7, 2003

ENTEBBE, Uganda (Reuters) - Health secretary Tommy Thompson ended
an African tour to promote AIDS awareness at the weekend, saying
he was optimistic that resources to fight the disease would pour
in from big business in the next couple of years.

Thompson visited Botswana, Zambia, Kenya and Uganda, stopping in
Nairobi to launch a partnership between business and a U.S.-
backed AIDS project aimed at encouraging big firms to help fund
the battle against HIV/AIDS in the developing world. Advertise-
ment

"From what we have learned there is no question in my mind that
those resources are going to come and come very fast," Thompson
told a news conference in Entebbe, 40 kmfrom the Ugandan capital,
late on Saturday.

"We expect to make tremendous progress in that direction in 12 to
18 months... This trip has been a ten on a scale of one to ten,
everyone has come away with a new perspective on the problem."

The partnership brings the U.N.-backed Global Fund to Fight AIDS,
Tuberculosis and Malaria together with the Global Business Coali-
tion on HIV/AIDS -- which includes almost 130 international busi-
nesses.

Nine firms have already pledged to use their resources in poor
countries where they operate, though there are no details of how
much they will invest.

Members of the large delegation of U.S. officials and business
leaders touring Africa with Thompson said it was clear more drugs
and better infrastructure were needed on a continent where an es-
timated 26.6 million people are infected with HIV/AIDS.

"We have learned that the countries we have visited need a mas-
sive investment in infrastructure to deliver life-saving drugs to
the affected," Richard Feachem, executive director of the Global
Fund, said.

"But even with the current situation there is a great potential
to scale up the availability of anti-retroviral treatments to the
affected."

The Global Fund was set up in 2001 as a kind of global war chest
against the three big infectious diseases by the United Nations
and the G8 group of rich nations.

AIDS, TB and malaria kill nearly six million people each year,
mostly in poor countries.