PHA-Exchange> Right to Health Speech at ESF (2)

Aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Wed Dec 3 06:35:29 PST 2003

From: "mohammad ali barzgar" <m_barzgar at hotmail.com>

Dear Sunil,

Greeting from Iran.I have realy enjoyed to read your speech at ESF.Many
thanks for sharing with the friends and thanks to Claudio for wide
distribution of such valuable speech.I can not agree more with you
about the
role of donors in pushing vertical approech and paralyzing health
system
infrastructure in developing countries.Also I fully agree with you that
the
answer to AIDS,TB,and Malaria is not condoms,DOTs,and impregnated
bednets.The answer to a socio-economic and biological complex is a
multidementional response.

You are quite right that an altrnative system is required.I woud like
suggest that as far as the needs of the people are inter-related ,the
pre-requisite to fight for right to health,is to fight for right to
Basic
Minimum Needs (*) of the people.In this connection the BMNs approach
initiated
in Thailand and adpted by myself in Somalia , Pakistan,and presently in
Iran
could be a sound and relevant alternative strategy that you are
addressing
in your paper and looking for it.PHM as the largest civile societies
who
globaly defending for health of the people is the right institution to
take
it up Internationaly.Wishing all the best and with warmest
regards.
Dr.M.A.Barzgar,PHM ,Iran.

(*): Mohammad, the BMNs approach has now been made more comprhensive by
introducing the Human Rights-based Approach to development which goes
further in addressing peoples rights more than only their needs. PHM
has endorsed this human rights-based approach.
Claudio
(moderator)
__