PHA-Exchange> SOUTHERN AFRICAN CONFERENCE ON EQUITY IN HEALTH, DURBAN, JUNE 8 AND 9 2004

Aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Sun Nov 16 00:58:05 PST 2003

From: "Rene Loewenson" <rene at tarsc.org>
EQUINET TO HOLD THE THIRD SOUTHERN AFRICAN CONFERENCE ON EQUITY IN
HEALTH IN DURBAN, SOUTH AFRICA.  JUNE 8 AND 9 2004

Where are we making progress towards equity in health in southern
Africa? What are the critical driving forces for health equity? Where
are the barriers? How do we build equitable expansion of ARV treatment
now?  What do we do about health personnel migration? Which health
rights campaigns have promoted equity in health? How do we ensure an
effective community voice in health systems?

These are some of the questions that the conference hosted by the
southern African network on Equity in Health (EQUINET) will address.

EQUINET will be holding a southern African Conference on Equity in
Health on June 8 and 9 2004 in Durban South Africa. EQUINET invites
delegates to the conference from civil society, state and non state
organisations, parliaments, regional and international organisations
and
other institutions promoting and working on equity in health in
southern
Africa. The conference will report on the research, policy and advocacy
work done by EQUINET and by others in the region on different
dimensions
and drivers of equity in health in southern Africa. It will offer an
opportunity to assess progress towards equity in health and towards
implementation of commitments made at the previous conferences on
equity
in health. It will identify key areas to be followed through in future
research, policy intervention and programme design at national and
regional level.

This is the third such conference in the region since 1997,  following
the Kasane meeting in 1997 (organized by University of Botswana and Dag
Hammerskold), and the South African meeting in 2001 (organised by
EQUINET). The reports of these previous conferences can be found on the
EQUINET website (www.equinetafrica.org).

The EQUINET conference on Equity in Health in Southern Africa  will be
held back to back with the International Society for Equity in Health
(ISeQH) conference June 10-12 2003, which Equinet is co-hosting with
the
Global Equity Gauge Alliance (GEGA) and Health Systems Trust (HST). We
hope that delegates attending the EQUINET conference will stay for the
ISeQH conference (and vice versa) and remind you that abstract
submission for the ISeQH meeting closes in early December.

EQUINET will be sending information in early December on the conference
theme, sessions, call for formal responses, logistic and other
information. We will then keep you regularly updated on the conference.
EQUINET will have some resources for sponsorship of conference
delegates. We will also notify you in December of pre-conference
workshops being held. Please diarise the conference dates for now!

For further information,  follow up queries, indications of interest in
attending the conference or suggestions,  please contact the EQUINET
secretariat email admin at equinetafrica.org. Information on the
conference
will also be posted to our website at www.equinetafrica.org.