PHA-Exchange> International Health Conference, manila

Claudio aviva at netnam.vn
Thu Oct 2 05:54:18 PDT 2003

From: <bdelapaz at uplink.com.ph>

>Dear PHM friends,

Hello and warm greetings from the Philippines!

I would like to again send off this invitation to all our PHM friends to
participate in our forthcoming International Conference on Challenges in
Health Work in a Globalized and Terrorized World: Continuing our
Resistance.  This is to be held in Manila on November 2-10, 2003.  This is
also part of our activities  commemorating the spirit of primary health
care, and also part of our build up activities towards the Asian Health
Forum, World Social Forum and later the PHA 2.  We do hope you can come and
be one with us in this endeavor.  Especially for our Southeast Asian
friends, we hope that we can use this occasion to come together and
organize the Southeast Asian Regional Network of the PHM and subsequently
choose our representative to the PHM Steering Committee.

Unfortunately, we have very limited funds for this so if you can just find
funds to support your travel, then we can try to look for local support for
your accommodations and expenses for the exposure trips.   Registration
fees and local costs can be negotiated.  Please let me know if there are
others who may be interested and whom we can also invite.  Please pass on
this invitation to others.

Thanks a lot and we look forward to your positive response.

For the organizing committee,

Dr. Delen P. de la Paz,  PHM Philippines
Dr. Leny A. Jara,   IPHC Philippines
Dr. Jojo M. Carabeo,  ILPS Ad Hoc Health Commission

>         Tentative Program:
>Day 1 -  AM       Opening Ceremonies
>                   Keynote Addresses:
>The Onslaught of Imperialist Globalization and Terrorism on People¡¦s
Health
>-       Congressman Satur Ocampo
>o       BAYAN MUNA Party List Representative
>o       Member, Congressional Committee on Health
>                         Health for All by the Year 2000: the failed
>                         Promise and the Challenges before us.
>-       Ms. Maria Zuniga
>o       International Coordinator, International People¡¦s Health Council
>                    Orientation to the Conference
>
>         PM      Panel Discussion 1 : The Impact of Globalization on
>                         People¡¦s Health
>"h      Privatization of Health Care: Profit not Service - Grassroots
Women -
>Canada
>"h      WTO and TRIPS ¡V Making Drugs More Unaffordable
>Dr. K. Bala ¡V Health Action International-Asia-Pacific (to be confirmed)
>"h      GATS and the further disaster on Public Health
>Dr. Pam Zinkin ¡V PHM Europe (to be confirmed)
>"h      Is there Life without IMF/WB ¡V the Cuban Experience.
>
>                 Simultaneous Workshops:
>"h      Evolving Privatization Schemes
>"h      Accessibility, Affordability and Appropriateness of Drugs and
Health
>Technology
>"h      Brain Drain, Brain Gain? The Problems of Massive Migration of
Health
>Professionals and health Caregivers
>"h      Globalization and Environmental Degradation: New Health Problems
>"h
>
>                 Evening Cultural Event: Creative Presentations of the
>                 Exposure Programs
>

>Day 2   AM      Brief Recap
>                 Plenary Reports of Workshops
>Panel Discussion 2 : Health Work and Continuing Resistance in a Terrorized
>World
>"h      Afghanistan and Iraq ¡V the 9/11 Aftermath
>- Medical Aid for the Third World, Belgium
>"h      Palestine ¡V The Terror and Agony Continues
>- to be confirmed
>"h      Philippines ¡V The Second Front for U.S. Aggression     And
Military