PHA-Exchange> Appeal for peace in Nepal

Mathura P Shrestha mathura at healthnet.org.np
Wed Oct 1 05:33:36 PDT 2003

Dear All
Attached herewith is the Press Statement of Civil Society for Peace, a consortium of NGOs active in human rights, peace and community development.
Regards,
Mathura P. Shrestha

October 29, 2003
Press Statement

Series of meetings chaired by Professor Mathura P. Shrestha since last Thursday concluded with an appeal to all concerned to be sensitive to the current political development of Nepal and be socially and politically committed to solve the conflict related problems. We demand that the following resolutions are fulfilled immediately:
1. We remind that all Nepalis have rights to observe their Dasain Festival according to their cultural traditions peacefully. We demand all concerned parties to cease acts of all types of violence and human rights violations during the festival period. We appreciate the move of CPN Maoist for the nine-day ceasefire during the festival. We demand that the state party reciprocate that positively. We also demand that all conflicting parties seriously initiate ceasefire process continuously even after the festival leading to conflict transformation and permanent peace.
2.  We strongly demand that both the state party and Maoists to be free of the mentality and culture of domination using violence. Both parties should immediately cease the process of killings, torture, abduction and disappearances, and human rights violations.
3. Unlawful search operations of homes, residences and offices by the security personnel (often in plain-cloth and masked without identity papers) should be ceased immediately. Conventional legal procedures like search warrant, search by police personnel officially dressed with identity cards, search during day hours only, search with consent without threats should strictly complied.
4. It is a legal duty of state party to complete description and records of all deceased and provide respectable cremation or burials. We appeal both parties to make public the information related to the list and conditions of victims including the descriptions of their whereabouts, health and circumstances leading to their casualties or abductions.
5. We strongly demand that both conflicting parties, especially the state parties, to strictly abide by the international treaties and conventions of which Nepal has become a party, and international humanitarian laws including Geneva Convention. Maoists too must make political declaration to abide by these provisions and cease acts of cruel and killings, abductions, disappearances, torture and disentitlement of properties.
6. We appeal both conflicting parties to declare schools, roads, communication centers, health institutions, electricity, public toilets and other essential service centers free of conflict or military operations and sincerely cease to attack these public facilities.
7. We strongly demand the concerned parties to cease immediately the acts of raising funds, donations or taxes by force or threats, violence against unarmed personnel or civilians, and looting. These have created terror and sense of extreme insecurity among the people.
8. We sincerely appeal the foreign diplomats engaged in Nepal to be sensitive to the human rights norms and provisions and humanitarian laws in their own countries and respect the sovereign rights of Nepal and its people prior to their concepts and making public statements about Nepal.

Professor Mathura P. Shrestha, MD
President, Civil Society for Peace.

Civil Society for Peace is a consortium of different civil societies in Nepal active in the field of human rights, social justice, peace, conflict transformation and community development. P.O.Box No.7768  Tel.:-4781212; E-mail: nfn at ntc.net.np

Other signatories:

1. Dr. Arjun Karki, PhD,  President of NGO Federation of Nepal and Chair RRN
2. Subodh Raj Pyakuryal, Chair, INSEC
3. Hemchandra Bhandari, PERPED & NFN
4.  Hemang Sharma, CVICT
5. Anjana Sakya
6. Gopal K. Sibakoti, PhD,  Himrights, INHURED
7. Dr. K.B. Rokaya, PhD,  PRCM/CEPJAR
8. Bhupadas Rajbhandari, NFN
9. Surya B. Thapa, NFN
10. Shanta Lall Mulmi, NFN & RECPHEC