PHA-Exchange> PAHO 44th Directive Council Resolution on PHC

Claudio aviva at netnam.vn
Fri Sep 19 20:40:41 PDT 2003

From: "Maria Hamlin Zúniga" <iphc at cablenet.com.ni>

WAR KILLS.  SO DOES INDIFFERENCE.  STOP THE WAR AND THE OCCUPATION!

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I wish to inform all of you that Dr. Mirta Rosas (Director of Panamerican
health Organization -PAHO) has invited me to be a ¨motivational speaker¨for
a panel discussion on ¨Primary Health Care in the
> Americas: Lessons learned over 25 years and future challenges¨.   This
will  take place on Wednesday, September 24th, 2003 in Washington, DC.

> I am preparing a short paper which I will share with you later.  I will
take into account the PHM statement made at the WHA in May, as well as
suggestions that have been made by my Latin American colleagues.

> A resolution is being put forward to the Assambly which I will also share
with you.  See below. We will be asking that it be ratified by the Ministers
of Health of the Americas.

> I will communicate the results of this opportunity with all of you after
the event.

> Regards,
>
> Maria
> International People´s Health Council
> maria at iphcglobal.org
> Member of the People´s Health Movement
> www.phmovement.org

> We invite you to sign on to our Campaign for Health for All Now
www.themillionsignaturecampaign.org

_______________________
PAN AMERICAN HEALTH ORGANIZATION - WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION

132nd SESSION OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Washington, D.C., USA, 23-27 June 2003

RESOLUTION CE132.R5 PRIMARY HEALTH CARE IN THE AMERICAS

THE 132nd SESSION OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE,  Bearing in mind the lessons
learned in the 25 years since the implementation of primary health care
began, as well as the challenges of its renewal for the future in the
Region;

Recognizing the validity of primary care as a general strategy for improving
the health of the population and human development;

RESOLVES:

To recommend that the 44th Directing Council adopt a resolution along the
following lines:

THE 44th DIRECTING COUNCIL,

Considering the Declaration of Alma-Ata (1978), as well as other ensuing
Resolutions on the regional strategies to promote health for all 2000
(HFA2000) and the plan of action for the implementation of the regional
strategies to promote HFA2000;  the Regional Plan of Action on HFA2000; the
resolution on monitoring and evaluation of the HFA2000 strategies and on a
renewal of the call for HFA and the health for all strategies;

Observing the impact of a changing environment on primary health care in the
Americas; and

Acknowledging the efforts of the countries of the Region to put policies and
programs on primary care at the center of their health services systems to
meet the goal of health for all-efforts in which the State, nongovernmental
organizations, and grassroots community organizations have played a role,

RESOLVES:

1. To request the Member States to:

(a) ensure that the necessary resources are available for primary care and
that its implementation helps to reduce inequalities in health;

(b) renew their commitment to ensuring the human resources development
required for primary health care in the long term;

(c) boost the potential of primary health care to reorient the health
services, fostering the adoption of a health promotion approach;

(d) promote the maintenance and strengthening of information and
surveillance systems in primary health care;

(e) support local communities to participate actively in primary health
care.

2. To request the Director to:

(a) take the principles of primary health care into account in the
activities of all technical cooperation programs, especially those related
to the attainment of the Millennium Development Goals;

(b) evaluate the different systems based on primary health care and identify
and disseminate information on best practice with a view to improving
application of the relevant policies;

(c) continue assisting the countries to improve training for health workers
in the priority activities of primary health care;

(d) place renewed emphasis on support for locally defined primary health
care models that are both flexible and adaptable;

(e) promote and organize a celebration with activities devoted to
underscoring throughout the Region the importance of the 25 years of
experience with primary health care in the Americas. This would be a
year-long process involving discussions, national commemorations,
subregional forums, regional activities, etc.;

(f) organize a regional consultation for the definition of future strategic
and programmatic orientations in primary health care.

- - -