PHA-Exchange> 25th anniversary PHC Philippines

Claudio aviva at netnam.vn
Thu Sep 11 00:50:38 PDT 2003

Dear Friends,

Warm greetings from the People's Health Movement (PHM) Philippines!

It has been 25 years since the Declaration of Alma Alta was endorsed by representatives from more than 130 countries espousing Primary Health Care (PHC) as the strategy to attain health for all.  But it has actually been 30 years since the community-based health programs (CBHP) in the Philippines began to teach health workers, to actively organize communities to take actions regarding their health, and assert health as a basic human right.

In celebration of the 25th year anniversary of the PHC, the PHM Philippines will be holding a workshop-forum entitled "25 years of PHC & 30 years of CBHP: Move Towards Health For All" on September 12, 2003 (Friday), 8:00-4:00 pm. It will be held at the Class '72 Theater, U.P. Manila College of Medicine, 547 Pedro Gil St. Ermita, Manila. Let us look back to the past 30 years, not only on why the promise of health for all as envisioned by the Alma Ata Declaration has not been attained, but more so on how we have persistently resisted the negative effects of WB-IMF-WTO policies and programs, that became the stumbling blocks to health for all.

To inspire us with their experience, we are inviting Sr. Edita Eslopor, OSB, Executive Director of San Benito SIPAG KO, Inc. to give the Keynote Address.  This will be followed by a sharing of experiences from various subsectors in health on how they have viewed and implemented PHC, including a presentation by his Excellency Ambassador Ramon A. Medina of Cuba.  The afternoon workshops will tackle the broader determinants of health.

To help defray costs, we will be asking for a modest registration fee (including snacks and lunch) as follows:
        P100.00 for health professionals
        P50.00   for health students
        Donation from grassroots communities

Knowing your experience in health and how valuable your insights will be in this event, we invite you to be one of our participants and we look forward to your positive response.

For any further questions, please feel free to call us up at the Secretariat office c/o the Health Action Information Network look for Emie or Tere.

Kindly confirm your attendance on or before September 11, 2003.

Thank you and best regards.

Sincerely,

EDELINA P. DE LA PAZ, MD
Coordinator, PHM Philippines