PHA-Exchange> PHM KENYA SEMINAR (3)

Aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Tue Sep 2 22:42:30 PDT 2003

Dear Malachi

Thanks very much for your update on the PHM seminar held on the 24
August 2003.
I would like to make a few clarifications about what HEPS-Uganda said
at that Seminar.

HEPS Uganda wrote a memorandum to the Law Reform Commission suggesting
areas of weakness and contraversy in the draft Bill and suggested
corrections which were not taken abroad by the Law Reform Commission.
The Law Reform Commission has now got a second draft Bill. This led to
the formation of the Uganda Coalition for Access to Essential Medicines
which is coordinated and hosted by HEPS-Uganda. It was created to form
a stronger voice to advocate and capaign for a fair legislation and
Acceess to Essential Medicines.

HEPS-Uganda was given a topic to write and present to Mwajuma in
preparation for the Social Forum in Mumbai India. The topic is TRIPS
and Access to Essential Medicines and on Plenary for Health care and
the marginalised, HEPS is supposed to prepare one testimony.

 my E-mail address is
mabyarugaba at hotmail.com.

Otherwise, it was a good thing to launch PHM Kenya and I hope the
contacts we made then, will continue with us in the spirit of Alma Ata.

Yours
Assumpta