PHA-Exchange> We are committed to rescue ceasefire and diologue processes in Nepal

Mathura P Shrestha mathura at healthnet.org.np
Mon Jul 21 19:57:34 PDT 2003

Dear All

Political situation in Nepal has taken a dangerous turn. There is an eminent threat of breakdown of ceasefire. Military and the government agents provoked too much and too many times often out of the way and out of common sense. Maoists too have provoked quite often though much less compared to the so called government (not democratic or constitutional) initiated misadventures. Chauvinists in the government dont have wisdom, ability or capacity to fight off Maoists but they probably tend to bank on the 'gun money', foreign military aid or loans as any corrupt henchmen in ruling class do in any part of turbulent world. Human rights groups are still optimistic to save the dialogue process are becoming active to press the 'government', security personnel and Maoists to restrain, save the ceasefire, to productively engage in dialogue and be honest in their commitment to previously agreed agenda and codes of conduct.

We also hope that the current United Movement for Democracy will be effective very soon leading to the restoration of democracy and constitutional processes, both of which is hijacked by the revivalist reaction in the palace. The current movement will provide direction and solution, hope and aspiration in the current turmoil brought about by suppression of democratic and constitution processes illegally, unconstitutionally and dishonestly. I hope that the United Parties in the movement and the Maoists will selve their differences and join hands to intensify the movement to oust the regression to reinstate normalcy in democratic terms and to realize people's sovereign power. Dialogue between government out of parliamentary process and the Maoists will lead to realistic and effective resolution of present conflict.

With regards

Mathura P. Shrestha.