PHA-Exchange> World Health Assembly adopts historic Tobacco Control Pact

Work for a Better Bangladesh wbb at pradeshta.net
Wed May 21 23:41:39 PDT 2003

World Health Assembly adopts historic Tobacco Control Pact

Framework Convention on Tobacco Control now ready for signature

GENEVA -- The 192 members of the World Health Organization today
unanimously adopted the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC)
aimed at curbing tobacco-related deaths and disease. This is the first
international treaty negotiated under the auspices of the World Health
Organization (WHO).

The Convention requires countries to impose restrictions on tobacco
advertising, sponsorship and promotion, establish new labelling and clean
indoor air controls and strengthen legislation to clamp down on tobacco
smuggling.

Today, we are acting to save billions of lives and protect peoples health
for generations to come. This is a historic moment in global public health,
demonstrating the international will to tackle a threat to health head
on,said Dr Gro Harlem Brundtland, Director-General of the WHO to the 56th
World Health Assembly.

Now we must see this Convention come into force as soon as possible, and
countries must use it as the basis of their national tobacco-control
legislation,she said. Four years in the making, the Framework Convention on
Tobacco Control has been a priority in the WHOs global work to stem the
tobacco epidemic. Tobacco now kills some five million people each year.
This death toll could double to reach 10 million by 2020 if countries do
not implement the measures of the FCTC. While smoking rates are declining
in some industrialised countries, they are increasing, especially among the
young, in many developing countries. These will account for over seventy
percent of that projected death toll.

We must do our utmost to ensure that young people everywhere have the best
opportunities for a healthy life. By signing, ratifying and acting on this
Tobacco Convention, we can live up to this responsibility,said Dr
Brundtland. To bring the FCTC into force, forty countries are needed to
ratify or otherwise accept it.

Every country present in this room will testify to the challenges we faced
as we worked on this final document. We now have to ensure the agreement we
have reached will do what is intended to do save lives and prevent
disease,said ambassador Luis Felipe Seixas de Corrêa, the Brazilian
diplomat who chaired the Intergovernmental Negotiating Body of the FCTC.
The 6th round of negotiations, which arrived at the final text, finished on
1 March 2003.

The FCTC will be open for signature at WHO headquarters from 16 to 22 June
2003 and thereafter at the UN headquarters (New York) from 30 June 2003 to
29 June 2004.

<http://tobacco.who.int/>All background on the FCTC .

For more information contact:

Helen Green - Information Officer