PHA-Exchange> Five professional organisations iof Nepal issue a joint press statement for peace, democracy and against retrogration.

Mathura P Shrestha mathura at healthnet.org.np
Mon May 19 09:36:21 PDT 2003

Nepal University Teachers Association, Nepal Bar Association, Nepal Medical Association, Nepal Engineers' Association and Federation of Nepalese Journalists issued a following joint Press Statement. Translation is mine.

Mathura P. Shrestha.

Press Statement

We cordially welcome the present dialogue for peace with the current ceasefire following the  last seven years' violent insurgency. We strongly request the conflicting parties to be sensitive to the wishes of all Nepalese people for the peace in the country and come up with the appropriate political outcomes.

We are seriously concerned about the present political conditions of Nepal. We have already taken a strong stand against the Royal Proclamation of October 4, 2002, and exposed it as unconstitutional.

Now the country is in chaos. We feel that the people have a right to be free from the present impasse and to exercise democracy in true form and state.

We oppose repression against any peaceful movement of the people. We demand that the state party to refrain from suppressing the dissension of the people, a natural right of the people in accordance to democratic norm.

We stand in solidarity for the success of peace dialogue, on our commitment for the progressive political outcome for the people, and against the present reactionary process (of the government) and appeal all concerned to be sensitive for the welfare of the people.

To support the above commitments we appeal all concerned to participate in the token demonstration of tomorrow, May 20, 2003 at Ratna Park, Kathmandu between 4.30 to 5. 30 PM organized at the initiative of Nepal Bar Association.

Signed
  1.. Mr. Khagendra Bhattarai, President, Nepal University Teachers' Association
  2.. Mr. Sindhu Nath Pyakuryal, President, Nepal Bar Association
  3.. Dr. Manoharprasad Gupta, President, Nepal Medical Association
  4.. Mr. Narayangovinda Halwai, President Nepal Engineers' Association
  5.. Mr. Taranath Dahal, President Federation of Nepalese Journalists.