PHA-Exchange> Nestle Supports Right to Food ? (3)

claudio aviva at netnam.vn
Wed Apr 23 04:41:02 PDT 2003

From: aos at hiak.no

I agree 100% with Human Rights Reader 43 . You all should have seen the
first meeting of the Intergovernmental Working Group on the Right to
Adequate Food, which took place recently in Rome 24-28 March. The USA has
neither
ratified nor supported any of the HR to food work - rather they have worked
very actively to stop anyone from putting the right to food on the
international agenda. Despite that, they managed to have themselves elected
into the Intl Bureau handling these issues  (the IGWG), and have  actively
prevented more active/knowledgeable people to be elected to any position
within or in support of the Bureau. It would be interesting to see how they
will behave in the future. I agree that it is very bad that multinationals
like Nestle start to play with this, but I think it is more dangerous when
the only superpower left on
the international scene is actively obstructing the work to really make a HR
approach to food as a human right a workable and live paradigm.
A. O.