PHA-Exchange> Nestle Supports Right to Food ?

claudio aviva at netnam.vn
Tue Apr 22 04:35:12 PDT 2003

From: kent at hawaii.edu

> >On April 12 the Saturday Punch newspaper in Nigeria ran an article
entitled
> >"Nestle Nutrition Media Awards". It said:
> >
> >"Nestle Nigeria Plc, has announced the fourth edition of the annual
Nestle
> >Nutrition Media Award ... The theme for this year is 'Adequate
> >Nutrition - A Human Right'. According to the Managing Director of the
> >company, Mr. Klaus Wachsmuth, the theme is meant to propagate fundamental
> >nutritional rights issues."The right to food and nutrition , and the
right
> >to be free from hunger and malnutrition have been expressed in two types
of
> >international human rights instruments: Conventions and convenants which
are
> >legally binding on those accepting them; and declaration which, though
> >non-binding, exercise a measure of persuasion on governments. At Nestle,
we
> >believe that there are opportunities and advantages that a human rights
> >perspective can have in accelerating action against all forms of
> >malnutrition and improve the current situation in Nigeria..........."

I see Nestle's appropriating the right to food concept for its own purposes
as a matter of great concern. It might not be long before they start talking
about infants' right to formula.

Is Nestle's doing this sort of thing anywhere else besides Nigeria? Are they
doing anything more with the right to food within Nigeria?  Any information,
insight, or ideas you may have about this would be most welcome.
G.K.,  Honolulu

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of
         --Bertrand de Jouvenal