PHA-Exchange> MTCT meeting - PHM participant report

claudio aviva at netnam.vn
Fri Apr 18 19:52:32 PDT 2003

From: "Mwajuma S. Masaiganah" <masaigana at africaonline.co.tz>
RE: Mother to child transmission (MTCT) plus Meeting report by People's
Health Movement Participant.

Firstly, I have the honour to introduce myself to you. My name is Mwajuma
Saiddy Masaiganah. I belong to the Peoples Health Movement which is a global
movement based in India (for more infor please go to our website
www.phmovement.org). PHM is a result of the Peoples Health Assembly which
was held in Bangladesh in December 2000, and which came up with the Peoples
Charter for Health now available from the website in more that twenty seven
(27) languages including Swahili. I am the facilitator for the movement for
Eastern and Central Africa.
>From the website you can also get the following information and more: -
1. Health in the Era of Globalization
2. Voices of the unheaard
3. People's Health Assembly - Discussion paper
4. What Globalisation Does to Peoples Health - A PHA booklet (1)
5. Whatever Happened to Health for All by 2000 AD - A PHA booklet (2)
6. Making Life Worth Living - A PHA booklet (3)
7. A war Where We Matter - A PHA booklet (4)
8. Confronting Commercialization of Health care - A PHA booklet (5)

You will get to know more on PHM as we continue collaborating.

Secondly, on 22 February 2003, MTCT plus Secretariat organised a meeting in
Johannesburg for a group of African women and Mama Graca Machel launched it
as an advisory and advocacy group to share, advice and give leadership to
the programme. The MTCT  of HIV/AIDS initiative has been started due to the
high spread of HIV/AIDS and the effects to mothers and families.

I understand that no one can live or work in isolation, and that is why I am
taking this opportunity to introduce myself to you now and share with you
the important things that happened and which were shared during this
important meeting. This is my personal report as a participant wanting to
get the information across as soon as things happen. I understand that MTCT
plus will soon circulate the official report of the proceedings of the
meeting which will give more details. I can also share that with you as soon
as I receive it.

Mwajuma S. Masaiganah Ms.

Join the "Health for all, NOW" campaign in the 25th anniversary year of the
Alma Ata declaration visit www.TheMillionSignatureCampaign.org

 THANK YOU FOR YOUR ACTIVE PARTICIPATION!

Reports on this meeting can be gotten from Mwajuma directly at his address
above.
Claudio