PHA-Exchange> PHM - Geneva [Communication - II WHO / WHA Circle]

PHM Secretariat phmsec at touchtelindia.net
Tue Apr 8 01:59:07 PDT 2003

Communication - II                                                                                                April 7, 2003
[WHO-WHA Circle]

Dear PHM Members and Friends,
 Greetings from the People's Health Movement Secretariat at CHC, Bangalore!

 The next World Health Assembly will be held from 19th to 28th of May at Geneva (WHA - 2003). As mentioned in my earlier communication, we are planning a week of events before and during the WHA as part of our annual WHO-WHA advocacy initiative as well as an opportunity to share our PHM experiences from all over the world and plan future initiatives together. We do not have special funds for these initiatives but as usual we are working on strategic opportunities and with the help of an active PHM - Geneva group, we are trying to cover as much of the local costs as possible and are requesting potential participants to cover their travel costs by their own regional sources or by being sponsored by other NGOs in official linkage with WHO. Any donations or support to cover these local costs will be also welcome.

Programs:

In close coordination with the PHM Geneva group, the following programme outline has involved as of 5th April 2003. As ideas evolve and suggestions come in this programme will evolve further and get modified.

  1.. 16th May 2003 - Friday: A days reflection in the context of the Alma Ata Anniversary.

Venue: World Council of Churches, 8am to 9pm

The process will consist of four round table / panel discussions, covering the areas mentioned.

8am - 10am

The Alma Ata Declaration and The Health for All agenda

Why the Alma Ata Declaration is as relevant today as it was 25 years ago; PHM and its Health for All Now Charter; The Health for All Now agenda towards the People's Health Assembly in 2004.

10.15am - 12.15am

War, Conflict and Disaster:

Health and Humanitarian consequences of the Iraq war; collateral damage; Reports from other conflicts; the PHM response.

14.00 - 16.00

The Private versus Public Debate:

How privatization of key areas of care will bury health for all: An agenda for counter action; why globalization is bad for Health; GATS and its consequences on People's Health

16.15 - 18.00

Access to Affordable and Essential Drugs:

Essential Drugs WHO's role; WTO and its consequences on access and affordability etc.

18.30 - 19.30

Buffet and fellowship

19.30 - 21.00 hrs

Diseases of Poverty: Comprehensive versus vertical approaches for AIDS, TB, Malaria:

Poverty and health approach versus social marketing of magic bullets; tackling socio-economic determinants; Health as a Right; the Global fund; Debt cancellation.

[The timings of the session may change as the schedule gets reorganized].

  1.. 17th May 2003 - Saturday

A days reflection on PHM strategy and initiatives for the Alma Ata Anniversary year.

Venue: World Council of Churches, 9.00am to 6.00pm

Agenda (as of now):

[This meeting will be for PHM Steering group members and all those PHM members and friends from different countries and networks and fraternal organizations, who are able to join us. It will cover the follow up of all the important points discussed at the steering committee meetings at GK Savar in November 2002 and consider all the new developments, linkages, initiatives and their implications and follow up].

The Agenda as of now will include:

  1.. PHM geographical circles (country and regions) 2. Issue based circles 3. Alma Ata Anniversary initiatives - (a) Country level and regional meetings, (b) The film-reviving the Dreams, (c) The Alma Ata Anniversary position paper and report, (d) the People's health awards, (e) other ideas. 4. PHM Communication activities - (a) Press releases, (b) Communication circle, (c) PHM global website. 5. PHM - Evaluation 6. World Social Forum 2004 (Mumbai, January 2004) 7. The second People's Health Assembly - (Porto Allegre, July 2004) 8. Linkages with other networks, coalitions and global and regional initiatives 9. Funding and fund raising 10 PHM publications follow up - (a) News brief, (b) other publications.

During this meeting, there will be three special shorter sessions.

(a)   Health in Latin America (Maria Hamlin Zuniga), (b) The Women's Access to Health Campaign  - WAHC (Melina Auerbach), (c) The anti-war / pro-peace PHM campaign (Unnikrishnan).

Details and timings will be worked out.

  1.. 18th May 2003 - Sunday:

Smaller informal meetings and down time.

  1.. 19th May 2003 - Modnay

-         Registration at WHA and attending briefing session for NGOs

-         Inauguration of World Health Assembly

-         Strategy planning session with PHM members an other Networks

  1.. 20th May 2003 - Tuesday

-         Reflection on Alma Ata Anniversary at NGO Forum for Health Session at WHA

-         Essential Drugs (HAI session)

  1.. 21st May 2003 - Wednesday

5pm - PHM / CSI session on Public - Private Health Care (?)

Various other networks, coalitions and NGOs are organizing meetings / sessions at and around WHA and PHM is exploring the possibility of cosponsoring some of them or joining as panelist or just as enthusiastic participants.

As of now the programme is from 16th to 21st May 2003. A IPHC Research Project meeting will be held on 14th and 15th May.

Please inform the PHM Secretariat with a copy marked to Nance Upham (g_upham at club-internet.f) and Manoj Kurien (mku at wcc-coe.org) of PHM Geneva, if you are able to attend; if you need accommodation and any other relevant information or suggestions.

All potential participants are requested to try and find out who is officially representing their country at the WHA and try to establish contact with them before the trip to Geneva. This will help our advocacy campaign greatly. If any of your country's official delegates are pro-PHM already, please help us to involve them in the PHM events as well. Your suggestions are welcome.

Please remember that while we will do our best in the PHM spirit, any efforts by you to cover your own travel to Geneva and back; and support your own local accommodation and boarding will be welcome and appreciated. If your organization / network can be generous and support one or more PHM participants, especially from counties and regions where such support may be difficult to mobilize, please let us know. This will enhance PHM solidarity and networking. Please forward this communication to anyone who may be keen to join the PHM events.

Looking forward to hearing from you all and seeing you at PHM Geneva.

In solidarity,

Ravi Narayan
Coordinator, People's Health Movement Secretariat(global),
(also Convenor, WHO-WHA Circle)

CHC-Bangalore
#367 "Srinivasa Nilaya"
Jakkasandra 1st Main, I Block Koramangala
Bangalore-560034
Join the "Health for all, NOW" campaign in the 25th anniversary year of the Alma Ata
declaration visit www.TheMillionSignatureCampaign.org