PHA-Exchange> Liberation Medicine and the People's Health Movement

Lanny vze2x6qm at verizon.net
Thu Apr 3 06:48:27 PST 2003

Friends in the PHM: As the World Health Organization Circle of the
People's Health Movement expressed interest in learning more about
Liberation Medicine, some members of Doctors for Global Health have
decided with them to do a short Workshop. On the way to Geneva from the
Bronx, I will join Audrey Lenhart (a DGH Founding Board Member who is
studying for her PhD in Liverpool) in London and Liverpool to do
presentations on Liberation Medicine and the People's Health Movement,
before doing the Workshop in Geneva. I would love to meet and share with
you or your friends in any of these places, so here are the dates,
times, and locals.

We would be especially pleased, in these visits and here on line, to get
ideas on how to promote the PHM within the United States of America,
especially given the current war situation. How does one reach out and
become part of local movements without becoming co-opted by groups (for
example the World Bank, some religious institutions whose ultimate goal
seems to be proselytizing, some groups which call themselves
"Non-Governmental Organizations" that receive the majority of their
finances from the United States Agency for International Development, US
AID, or multi-national companies) that are cozy with the powers that
promote war and destruction, here in what Jose Marti called "the belly
of the beast?" How does one reach out and become part of local movements
(and there are many local movements and organizations in the United
States of America doing beautiful work at the community level, some
nationwide, a few international) which themselves are very wary of
joining together or inviting outsiders to be part of their movement? Or
which just don't have the resources in these lean and ever-leaner
financial times to pay attention to more than survival of the group and
its community?

(As many of you know, Doctors for Global Health, www.dghonline.org
<http://www.dghonline.org/> , and the Hesperian Foundation,
www.hesperian.org <http://www.hesperian.org/> , have been asked by the
Secretariat of the PHM to promote the PHM within the United States of
America. We have already had an intense and incredibly successful March
2003 visit by Ravi Narayan, Thelma Narayan and Zafarullah Chowdhury, and
are working through conference calls and local presentations to create a
USA Circle of the People's Health Movement.)

Here are the logistics for the presentations/workshop on
LIBERATION MEDICINE AND THE PEOPLE'S HEALTH MOVEMENT:

London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, LSHTM:
Wednesday, 9 April 2003 at 12.45pm-2pm
In: Manson (lecture hall)
Address: Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT UK

Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine:
Thursday, 10 April 2003 at1:05pm-1:55pm
In the Nuffield Lecture Theatre at the School of Tropical Medicine
Address: Pembroke Place, Liverpool L3 5QA, UK

World Health Organization, Geneva
Friday 11 April 2003 at 12.30pm-14.00
In Room M 505, WHO

Looking forward to seeing some of you and hearing from many,
In Health, Human Rights, Art, Education and NO WAR IN IRAQ,

Peace with Justice.

Thank you.

Lanny

Ps: much of the presentation will be photos, difficult to send by email,
and in discussion, but I would be very happy to share the written
outline with anyone who is interested.