PHA-Exchange> Fw: On the Asian Migration Trail

UNNIKRISHNAN PV (Dr) unnikru at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 28 10:37:30 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: IPS News <ipsnews at topica.email-publisher.com>
To: <unnikru at yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 5:29 AM
Subject: On the Asian Migration Trail

health, features new stories at http://www.ipsnews.net/migration/index.html

> A PEEK AT SOME STORIES
>
> PHILIPPINES: Health System Suffers Brain Drain
> Marites Sison
> MANILA - ''When will we ever be a family again?'' Nelfa's five-year-old
son asked when she came home to the Philippines for a five-week vacation
from Britain, where she has been working as a nurse for 14 months.
> http://www.ipsnews.net/migration/stories/braindrain.html
>
> ***
> BANGLADESH: Financial Gains, Emotional Pains
> Qurratul Ain Tahmina
> DHAKA - Faruque Ahmed, a retired employee of the Bangladesh Army, went to
take up a mechanic's job with Saudi Arabia's defence ministry in 1986,
leaving behind his pregnant wife. Ahmed first saw his son two years later,
when he came home for a month's holiday.
> http://www.ipsnews.net/migration/stories/gains.html
>
> ***
> SRI LANKA: Balancing Costs and Benefits
> Feizal Samath
> COLOMBO - Despite growing concerns about the human cost of overseas
migration, Sri Lankan experts are cautious about tightening the procedures
for working abroad and say this has to  balanced with the risk of
undercutting the economic benefits of the labour exodus.
> http://www.ipsnews.net/migration/stories/costs.html
>
> ***
> PHILIPPINES: Letters of Longing, Hope
> MANILA - ''I wonder why I ended up in this hot city?'' Edna, a Filipino
single mother of two, wrote in the wee hours of the morning from her tiny
room in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, where she has been a domestic worker for two
years.
> http://www.ipsnews.net/migration/stories/letters.html

> The page, maintained with the support for the Ford Foundation (the
Philippines) is part of an IPS Asia-Pacific project that aims to give a
human face to the coverage of migration in the region.