PHA-Exchange> Smoking out Problem of Child Smokers - China Daily

wbb wbb at pradeshta.net
Mon Feb 24 21:09:56 PST 2003

Smoking out Problem of Child Smokers - China Daily
Saturday, February 22, 2003

It was 1:45 in the afternoon, a quarter of an hour before class time.
Unlike his fellow students who were making preparations in the classroom,
12-year-old Qiao Yunlu (not his real name) was enjoying a last drag from a
cigarette beside a school dustbin in the backyard.
A sixth-grader at Yuhui Elementary School in Chicheng County, Hebei
Province, about four hours' drive from Beijing, Qiao started smoking at
nine. He boasted that he could tell different brands of cigarette by the
smell wafting smoke in the air.
"I like smoking 'Diamond' because it smells soft and pure. 'Camellia' is
very special, having a sweet and tea-like taste," said Qiao with the air of
a connoisseur despite his youthfulness.
Liu Song (not his real name), 15, is in his second grade at Chicheng No 2
Middle School, and has already been smoking for four years. Normally he
smokes half a pack each day, but he achieved a record by smoking two packs
a day when he was playing video games in the Internet cafe during the
summer vacation.
"Smoking is part of my life now. " said Liu with a smile that revealed his
yellow teeth.
For tobacco companies, children are a huge and promising market for their
sales.
Beijing Center for Disease Prevention and Control conducted a survey in May
last year among more than 8,000 students in Beijing. Results show that
21.59 percent of secondary school students and 6.17 percent of primary
school pupils smoke, up from 6.5 percent and 3.6 percent respectively in 1999.
"The earlier young people start smoking cigarettes, the more likely they
are to become addicted to nicotine and the less likely they are to quit,"
said Yang Gonghuan, professor with China Academy of Preventive Medical
Sciences.
This warning is not unfamiliar among youngsters. During a joint survey last
year by the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the China
Children's Press & Publication Group (CCPDG) on 33,749 youngsters aged 10
to 19, as high as 84.5 percent of those surveyed admitted they know the
harm of smoking.
"I have no interest in those reports in newspapers about the danger of
smoking," said Liu Song. "Just look at my neighbor Granny Liu. She's been a
heavy smoker for decades, but she still lives a happy life at the age of 76."
Zang Yingnian, honorary director of the China Smoking and Health
Association, noted that, aside from curiosity, study pressure and
loneliness, "In most cases, the first teacher for children to learn smoking
is the smoker around them."
This is proved by the UNICEF-CCPDG survey. Around 44.8 percent of the
youngsters from over 10 provinces and cities say smokers around them are a
major factor for smoking. A total of 23.5 percent blamed friends and
schoolmates, while 21.3 percent cited family members and society as a cause.
Qiao Yunlu received his first cigarette from one of his schoolmates when he
was in Grade Three. One day he saw by chance a six-grader puffing beside
the school dustbin. The boy offered a cigarette and hissed not to let
others know.
"My father often smokes in front of me. If I quit smoking, I will still
share the poisonous air with him. So why not smoke?" said Liu Ruoxuan, a
16-year-old boy at Diao'e Town Middle School in Chicheng.
But the role of cigarette retailers should not be ignored. Although the
State Tobacco Monopoly Administration (STMA) issued regulations in 2001
requiring all tobacco outlets to place signs on their counters to warn
youngsters of the danger of smoking, few have complied. The fate is similar
for the Law on the Prevention of Juvenile Delinquency passed in 1999 that
prohibits selling cigarettes to children.
Liu Song's parents gave him two yuan (24 US cents) daily as pocket money,
but he could still buy "Diamond" cigarettes every day, which cost four yuan
(48 US cents) a pack. "Thanks to the shop owner, we are able to buy
cigarettes piece by piece," said Liu Song, pointing at a shop opposite his
school.
Health Minister Zhang Wenkang said, "We must continue to harness adult
smoking and prohibit cigarette sales to children. At the same time, joint
efforts from society, families and schools are also needed to address the
problem of juvenile smoking."
China Smoke and Health Association plans to form an ad hoc anti-smoking
committee composed of celebrities from the media and entertainment circles.
"We want the mass media to publicize more on the harm of smoking and get
the pop stars to influence youngsters with a positive image," said Zhang
Yifang, deputy director of the association.
At home, parents should set a good example for their children by not
smoking in front of them, he advised.
The role of schools in anti-smoking must not be overlooked. Doctor Ye
Guangjun from the Institute of Child and Adolescent Health of Beijing
University believed that student participation is the best way.
"Knowledge about smoking is necessary, but not enough. Students are not
onlookers."
Zang Yingnian of the China Smoking and Health Association said, "Preventing
children from smoking is very crucial in the anti-smoking campaign. They
are not only the focus of our campaign but also supervisors and
participators."
http://test.china.org.cn/english/2003/Feb/56505.htm

FWD: Syed Mahbubul Alam Tahin

--