PHA-Exchange> PHM TOUR IN THE UNITED STATES: MARCH 1 - 16

Sarah Shannon sarahs at hesperian.org
Fri Feb 21 10:32:59 PST 2003

PHM TOUR IN THE UNITED STATES:  MARCH 1 - 16

Dr. Zafrullah  Chowdhury, Dr. Ravi Narayan and Dr. Thelma Narayan will be
touring the United States in early March to help build a PHM effort in the
United States.  Organized by the Hesperian Foundation and Doctors for
Global Health, the PHM tour will include meetings, speaking engagements and
community events in the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, New York, Boston,
and Washington D.C.

The Hesperian Foundation (Berkeley, California) and Doctors for Global
Health (Atlanta, Georgia) are working to organize a PHM presence in North
America. Given our strategic location in the United States, we have been
asked to focus our initial organizing on providing networking and
promotional support for the various country and regional campaigns of the
PHM, and work to raise consciousness in the United States about the
challenges to health around the world posed by globalization.

"Globalization is Bad for your Health" will be the main theme of the PHM
U.S. tour, which will emphasize how the goal of "Health for All," has been
replaced by the reality of "Health for All Who Can Pay" in our increasingly
globalized economy.

The fledgling PHM-US Circle is also launching a list serve, web site and is
planning other activities and tours.  If you are a friend of the PHM and
living in the United States, please contact us to learn more about the tour
and get involved with PHM activities in the US.  We need your help!

Contact:
Sarah Shannon  sarahs at hesperian.org
Hesperian Foundation