PHA-Exchange> STOP THE WAR ON IRAQ- It will lead to health and humanitarian crisis- A joint statemetn by People's Health movment and .........................

UNNIKRISHNAN PV (Dr) unnikru at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 22:34:07 PST 2003

 International People's Health Council

ALAMES - Asociacion Latinoamericana de Medicina Social
 Joint statement by the organizers of the HEALTH FORUM   (2nd International Forum for the Advocacy of People's Health as an Essential Human Need)

Porto Alegre, Brazil:           25th January 2003

 URGENT                                          PRESS RELEASE

STOP  THE  WAR  on Iraq !

 "A war on Iraq will lead to a health and humanitarian crisis.

It is disastrous for the people of the world".

(An unanimous statement issued and signed by the participants of the 2nd Health Forum, held at Porto Alegre, Brazil (20th to 22nd January 2003)

We, the participants at the 2nd Health Forum at Porto Alegre, Brazil are greatly alarmed by and unequivocally condemn, the preparations for a full-blown war against Iraq currently being undertaken by the United States of America and United Kingdom.

This forum unanimously warns the Bush and Tony Blair administrations that the consequences of a war on Iraq is disastrous for the health and lives of the people of Iraq, its neighbouring countries and the rest of the world. We urge the two governments to put public interest and peace before their military and private commercial interests. The war plans are impermissible, undemocratic and immoral. It must be stopped.

Testimonies by health and humanitarian workers, public health professionals and others who are assembled here (including some who often provide front-line medical, health and humanitarian assistance during war, conflict and humanitarian situations) who are present here, for this international forum reminds that more than 90 % of the casualties in any war are innocent civilians. All wars destabilise the already over burdened health systems. Case of Iraq will no way be different. The Health Forum endorses the observations made by the MEDACT (a constituent of the People's health Movement) and the International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War in their recent scientific report about the potential health and humanitarian consequences of the proposed war.

The 12 year embargo and trade sanctions have killed thousands Iraqi people and unmitigated hardships to the ordinary civilians in Iraq. It has also crippled the economy and devastated public life, leaving millions of children malnourished and reversing the health standards.

The war will also lead to a wider regional conflict in the Middle East that will have long-term devastating health, humanitarian, social, economic and political consequences. What we need to leave for the next generation is not a sense of death and destruction, but of peace, solidarity, non-violence and understanding. We need to work towards a just and peaceful world, which is not only possible, but also necessary.

We extend our solidarity for the ongoing efforts by the peace and other social movements to stop this war. We appeal to the people of the world to join us in condemning all expressions of military terrorism and war. In today's context of an advanced development of weapons of mass destruction, life is too precious to bear the burden of war.

Vital statistics (Iraq and Health):

3,900,000 deaths if nuclear weapons are used[1]. The majority of casualties will be civilians.

48,000 to over 260,000 people will die[2]: The total possible deaths on all sides during the conflict and the following three months range from. Civil war within Iraq could add another 20,000 deaths. Additional later deaths from post-war adverse health effects could reach 200,000.

US $150-200 Bn.: The financial burden will be enormous on all sides, with arms spending, occupation costs, relief and reconstruction possibly exceeding $150-200bn. The US is likely to spend $50bn - $200bn on the war and $5bn - 20bn annually on the occupation.

US $ 9 Billion: The resources required to provide water and sanitation for the people in developing countries (annual expenditure)[3].

US $ 780 Billion: Annual military expenditure[4].

30,000 children will die by this time tomorrow: Every 24 hours, 30,000 children will die from preventable diseases on our planet earth[5]

[1] Collateral damage: a joint report by the MEDACT and IPPNW

[2] Collateral damage: a joint report by the MEDACT and IPPNW

[3] UNDP, 1998

[4] UNDP 1998

[5] www.TheMillionSignatureCampaign.org

For media enquiries regarding the Health Forum and this statement, please call:

Mobile : Local in Porto Alegre (Jan 19th till 28th) :+55 51 811 64082 ; E-mail: unnikru at yahoo.com

For PHM media enquiries (permanent contacts) :

India: Dr. Unnikrishnan PV , +91 (0) 0 91319     :   unnikru at yahoo.com

London: Andrew Chetley, London : +44 20 7539 1591         chetley.a at healthlink.org.uk

Thailand: Satya Sivaraman (E-mail: satyasagar at yahoo.com )