PHA-Exchange> Re: [PHM_Steering_Group_02-03] [Fwd: WHO DG: The eight men standing for the job]

pamzinkin pamzinkin at gn.apc.org
Tue Jan 21 08:49:00 PST 2003

Dear Ravi
I am somewhat surprised that you did not mention Julio Frenk's co
authorship of the controversial world health report.
Re Julio Frenk Mora
.”the one drawback to his candidacy is his association
with the controversial World Health Development Report 2000, which
discarded WHO’s goal of Health for All”.
(Current edition of the Lancet, January 18, 2003, p194)

There are plenty of criticisms of the methodology as well.

By the way the Mauritian candidate withdrew as soon as the AU endorsed
Mocumbi. The Senegalese candidate, who worked with Piot, took longer.
 From today the short list is 5 candidates but the pro PHM person needs
support from all those who can. if

At 05:00 PM 1/21/03 +0530, Community Health Cell wrote:

>BTS wrote:
>
> > WHO DG: The eight men standing for the job
> > HDN Moderation Team
> >
> > There are now eight official candidates for the WHO Director General
> > position (see names and short bios below). A short-list of five will be
> > selected tomorrow (21st January) for further consideration and interview
> > by the WHO Executive Board next week.
> >
> > A short bio for each candidate is presented below, and some of them have
> > even set up dedicated web sites to support their nomination. These sites
> > contain extended bios and other information about candidates. See below
> > for further details.
> >
> > A description of the WHO DG selection process will also be sent to BTS
> > later today.
> >
> > The candidates are:
> >
> > 1. Sir Djamil Fareed, Mauritius
> > 2. Dr. Julio Frenk, Mexico
> > 3. Dr. Karam Karam, Lebanon
> > 4. Dr. Jong Wok Lee, Republic of Korea
> > 5. Dr. Pascaal Manuel Mocumbi, Mozambique
> > 6. Dr. Peter Piot, Belgium
> > 7. Professor Ismail Sallam, Egypt
> > 8. Dr. Joseph Williams, Cook Islands
> >
> > The single female candidate for the position, Professor Awa Marie
> > Coll-Seck (Health Minister of Senegal), withdrew her candidacy over the
> > weekend ­ apparently to give greatest chance of success to the remaining
> > African candidate.
> >
> > Short candidate bios follow:
> >
> > 1. Sir Djamil Fareed (Mauritius)
> >
> > Is an adviser to the health ministry of Mauritius.
> >
> > 2. Julio Frenk Mora, MD, MPH, MA, PhD (Mexico)
> >
> > Currently serves as Mexico's minister of health, a post he has held since
> > 2000. From 1998-2000, he was executive director of evidence and
> > information for policy, at WHO in Geneva.
> > On a national level, he has been vice president of the Mexican Foundation
> > for Health and president of the Mexican Society of Quality in Health Care.
> > He also was founding director of both the National Institute of Public
> > Health of Mexico and the Centre of Public Health Research in the Ministry
> > of Health.
> > Widely respected as a physician, scholar and researcher, Dr. Frenk Mora is
> > the author of 28 books and monographs as well as numerous articles in
> > academic and non-academic reviews and newspapers, and a member of the
> > editorial boards of various national and foreign reviews.
> >
> > Link to Julio Frenk Mora's longer biography can be read at:
> >
> > http://www1.oecd.org/forum2002/Speakers/Bios/Frenk.htm
> >
> > 3. Karam S. Karam, MD (Lebanon)
> >
> > Lebanon's current Minister of Tourism and Alternate Minister of Health.
> > After serving as Health Minister for two years, he assumed his current
> > position in 2000. Recognized as a leader in both the fields of tourism and
> > health, he is a member of the Arab Council of Ministers of Tourism and the
> > Executive Board of the World Tourism Organization and also sits on the
> > Executive Board of the World Health Organization.
> > Dr. Karam earned his medical degree from the American University of Beirut
> [...]

Pam Zinkin                              tel:44 (0)20 7609 1005
pamzinkin at gn.apc.org            fax:44 (0)20 7700 2699
45 Anson Road
London N7 OAR
UK