PHA-Exchange> (no subject)

info at peterpiot.org info at peterpiot.org
Mon Dec 9 01:36:06 PST 2002

Dear Members of the People's Health Movement

I have been asked to share views on the World Health
Organization through a meeting in Geneva.   I thank
you for this invitation, but regret that on this
occasion, I have to decline.  I am committed for the
next weeks in my capacity as Executive Director of
UNAIDS.  Thereafter, and until the Executive Board
meeting in January, I will be on leave and out of
Geneva.

Apart from the scheduling difficulties, I sense it
would be appropriate to aim for wider participation.
The Lancet debate, promoted amongst others by PHM
members, is going to result in a list of questions
being presented to each candidate for public reply.  I
feel this is an equitable and transparent way to reach
and hear from all candidates.  More importantly, this
provides the opportunity for many more to take part in
the process and from all parts of the world.  I have
already agreed to participate in this initiative.

In the event that you might be able to organise a
session along similar principles and involving all
candidates, I will do my best to rearrange my schedule
to participate.

I have been watching PHM developments prior to the PHA
in Dhaka.  I read the Charter and was impressed by the
content, and the national and international processes
that led to its development.  I have so far met with a
small group of PHM members during the last World
Health Assembly during which concerns were discussed
at some length.

Thank you once again for the invitation.

With sincere best wishes

Dr. Peter Piot