PHA-Exchange> KILLING OF INNOCENT KENYANS-HOTEL BOMBING 28/11/2002.

Malachi Orondo oromal at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 5 06:46:25 PST 2002

Dear PHM colleagues,

As much as my letter could have been extreme as some
of my colleagues put it,we must admit that there was
laxity in response on the matter from PHM fraternity.

The incident occured on 28/11/02 early morning and
automatically as the affected person in Kenya I got
immersed in anger contemplating the magnitute of the
damage caused by the bombing to our Kenyan
lives,health and economy.Naturally we expected a quick
response from PHM fraternity condemning the act but
there was none until 3/12/02 when i wrote that
letter.Probably all could have remained quiet upto now
if I  didn't break the silence.

My letter contained alot of useful points and
suggestions.Those who wrote comments about my letter
only dwelt on blaming the bad comments on it but never
recognized the useful points which could have been
helpful.The group which bombed Kenyan Hotel called
itself Army of Palestine.With the anger,I had wanted
to address somebody in Palestine directly so that the
message of our anger and grief could be circulated to
all media,Organizations and the entire Palestinian
population.UPMRC normally publishes a newsletter
called Palestinian Monitor which is widely circulated
and read by all Palestinians including the radical
suicide Bombers.So addressing Dr.Mustafa did not imply
that i was blaiming him for the bombing but i was just
addressing my sentiments to him as the only
colleaque/friend i know.I do not know any body in
Palestine apart from him.

I am a great supporter of palestinians cause towards
peace and permanent homeland.I totally protest and
condemn the mistreatment of Palestinians by Israelis.I
normally find it difficult at times to contain my
anger on seeing the torture the Palestian women and
children are subjected to.Pregnant women  at times
give birth in very squalid conditions simply because
they cannot reach hospitals in time due embagoes
imposed by Israelis.So I am a great sympathizer and
friend of the Palestians.This is why I have the anger
when my fellow Kenyans are being killed by people I
have at heart as my close friends.Again our problems
and Palestians  are similar being third world
countries.

I agree that the anger is meant for Israelis,but when
the attack is done a helpless and defenceless coutry
like Kenya,the Majority of those who suffer are Kenyan
citizens.

Most of the few who commented on my letter probably
did not analyse its contents properly.There are quite
a number of issues in the letter which were not
addressed by them.
1.Terrorism is now a big threat to health and life in
the whole world.It is all the times at our door
steps.I suggested that PHM should convene a world
conference to discuss terrorism thoroughly and come
out with possible solutions.A proper homework needs to
be done for such a conference.Terrorism  has reached
alarming propotions such that it can only be contained
by engaging those groups which perpetrate it and
involving them fully in solving the problem.Terrorism
agents have infiltrated our entire society so its
imposible to finish it by armed security agents
only.The best option is bringing them close and talk
to them.PHM should open continous e-conferencing to
discuss terrorism before the main proposed conference.

2.The 10 kenyans killed and several others whose
houses and property got burnt need assistance.I raised
an appeal for some assistance in form of marterials
and cash from any source.In your comments nobody
mentioned this.I hope somebody will assist me to
solicit some help from donors for these helpless
people.

3.The fateful incident means alot to our tourism and
economy which I mentioned very clearly in my letter.We
are a poor country dependent on foreign Investors and
if they pull out this aggravates our position.

4.When I was watching CNN TV news this morning,I saw
many peaceful Palestianins denouncing and condemning
sucide bombers.They said that a continous insecurity
in Palestian is being worsened by fear of Israelis
that the bombers are not easy to recognise so they can
strike any time,hence they tightened movement
procedures for Palestinians In indiscriminately.Since
peace Loving Palestians oppose these extremists,this
is a good starting point for them to use all posssible
means to communicate to the bombers to come forward
and talk peace.We can only use the media accessible to
these extremists eg.Al-Jazeera TV channel,Arabic
Radios and Newspapers and Palestian Monitor
Newsletter.There are prominent people who are very
much respected by these extremists who could easily
reach and talk to them.However we have not considered
a peaceful option to tackle the problem.I know there
are people with good knowledge of Alqaeda entire
network and can easily contact them.

The secular world leaders have pushed the entire world
to its highest tension limits such that they are
nolonger able to solve safety and security problems.If
we depend on their style of approach to solve our
security problems then we shall be doomed.

PHM due to its neutrality and humility in approach,its
currently the best placed Body to help curb terrorism
before it brings the whole world to its knees.You all
know that our world great political leaders cannot
accept to have any direct contact or communication
with these extremists groups.For us in PHM we can sit
and talk to them.Having such a dialoque in itself will
be a very big achievement towards solving the
problem.We shall have opened an Avenue to talk and try
to convince them to stop this heineous act.Since most
of them are Arabic speaking,I believe our Arab
colleagues can play a major role in finding a
solution.We can use moderate leaders and media like
UPMRC etc.to contact them.

I believe during our next WHO and PHA in Geneva may
2003 this subject will be given the rightful
consideration during the discussions.

Lastly I would like to appologise to Dr.Mustafa
Bargouthi if my ealier letter offended him.However i
believe we will continue communicating as we have done
in the past.

Yours in PHM solidarity
Malachi.