PHA-Exchange> RUTHLESS KILLING OF INNOCENT & HELPLESS KENYANS-PROTEST LETTER.

Malachi Orondo oromal at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 07:22:38 PST 2002

Kenyans are at pain trying to imagine why helpless,
defenceless innocent Kenyan Citizens should be
butchered in mass murder as happened for a second time
in four years (Aug. 1998 & now).Within Four years.This
is against charter for health principles.

On 28th November 2002 at 8.35 am a group calling
itself Army of Palastine  simultaneously staged twin
attacks in two key places in Mombasa port city.

One was at paradise hotel owned by Israelis where
three suicide bombers in a four wheel Pajero Car
forced their way through the hotel gate and sped
towrds hotel reception / louge and rammed the vehicle
strapped with explosives in to the hotel reception
area . The explosives exploded resulting in to a
horric fire which burned the hotel and killed 13
people(10 kenyans and 3 israelis) 40 people were
injured in this act. At the very time of the hotel
incident the terrorist launched an attack using two
shoulder fired missiles aiming to blow out charted
Israel boeng 757 with 261 passengers and 10 crew
members.

The paradise hotel which was bombed by the terrorist
employed 265 kenyans it also created a market for
kenyans to sell their produce to erk a living .About
10,000 kenyans depended on this hotel for their lively
hood. An average african kenyan famuily has 8 children
therefore a very large number of kenyan will suffer
loss .

Most of those affected earn less than 1USD per day.
many of them only survive by eating one meal per day

just for survival .

The area surrounding mombasa airport is thickly
populated with squarters living in temporary slum
dwelings .therefore if the 757 israel jet would have
been hit by the misiles then 100,000 kenyans would
have been killed and 500,000 kenyans could have been
homeless without rescuing a single propery.

Our economy is already at its lower ebb .The economy
is mostly depending on tourism which contributes 40%.
Now the economy will suffer more since most tourist
are scared by the incident and Rampant joblessness
will prevail. We are not endowed with the oil like
arab countries .Up to this moment we still do not
understand why the bombers chose kenya to carry out
this heinous act because kenyan PHM members have
always sympathised, prayed  and supported palestinians
in their plight for peace and home land. I have signed
and distributed widely protest letters written by
Mustafa Bargouthi protesting about paletians cause for
peace written by UPMRC and Dr. Bargouthi himself .
Despite all the sympathy , prayers and soliderity we
have shown in PHM , the palestinians have chosen to
kill my innocent and helpless kenyan coleagues instead
of extending a word ooof appreciation.

Kenya and africa as awhole has numerous problems and
adding somme its like adding fuel on to an already
fiercly  burning fire even right now relative of those
killed by the bomb blast can not get the bodies for
burial because they can not afford to pay ksh
15,000/=(19usd)mortury charged to be allowed to take
the bodies.we all remember that health is a basic
human right as stated in our PHM charter for health

Kenya has 1 million hiv / aids orphans and the scourge
is killing 700 kenyans daily 2.5 million are hiv
positive and we can not afford antiretroviral drugs to
help these people so most kenyans life expectancy has
been reduced from 55 to 47 years . Kenyan has 500,000
street children which is still increasing due rampnt
poverty .

Kenya being a third world country shares similar
problem with Palestine or south south countries.
therefore I am at grief and pain trying to comprehend
why palestinian should choose to kill kenyans instead
of taking the battle to the Jews at their backyard yet
they are close neighbours !

Being a strong campaigner and supporter of PHM and one
of the contributers in drafting a chater for health at
bagladesh 2000, i would like to conclude by stating as
follows

1. PHM world wide should convene a world conference to
discuss terrorism as health risk and propose
solutions.

2. Dr. Mustafa Bargouthi ,UPMRC and all other
palestine organisations should appologise to kenyanns
and dissociet themselves from the bombers

3. Dr. Mustafa and fellow PHM colleagues to assure us
they will cooperate to stop such heineus act happening
in kenya again.

4. palestinian organisation should sympathise with
these helpless families and solicit funds from donors
to give  hope/ support to the bereaved families which
have lost their sole bread earners Dr. Mustafa being
one of the Architect of PHM at Bagladesh should
spearhead this activity for compensating those
affected.

There is a general belief that things affecting
Africans are never taken seriously like those
affecting other areas.However,I still need to speak my
mind openly.Compensation to help these helpless victim
could even come from any charitable Organisation
feeling symapthy to help.So any other
foundation,Charitable Organisation,NGO etc.Willing to
help can get intouch with Kenya PHM through my above
email address then I will guide how to get intouch
directly with those affected.

Once again I end by appealing to world wide
Organisation"PLEASE SPARE KENYA FROM TERORRISM.WE ARE
A PEACE LOVING COUNTRY".I would like the Whole World
to know that Kenya is very safe for Foreigners and
Visitors.This particular Incident was just an
Unfortunate Incident brought to Us by Foreign Enemies.

By Kenyan PHM National Co-ordinator.