PHA-Exchange> Solidarity against war-mongers and prescribers of death

Mathura P Shrestha mathura at healthnet.org.np
Sat Oct 26 08:01:45 PDT 2002

Dear All

I shall be out of Kathmandu to visit Terai of Eastern and Central Region for Nepal Human Rights Action Plan workshop from October to November 2. 2002. Kindly circulate following messages:

The world is once again at the brink of  a major escalated or trans-national war. Overwhelming majority in all countries does not approve the war in Iraq or any other war. It is beyond common sense of any thinking human to comprehend or digest the purpose of the threatened war, let alone justify that.

War has always brought untold misery in terms of loss of life, disability, environmental destruction and catastrophe of all shorts.It is especially true of modern, high-tech war.War destroys and buries civilizations, and force the surviving generation to start anew.

Free without wars people and world would have done better and solved almost all human problems. With the obvious freedom from fear many diseases, psychological and social problems would have existed in this world. People and countries would have squandered resources on arms or preparation for war. Military expenditure if diverted no one would have experienced poverty and hunger. People all over the world hoped and dreamt with the twenty-first century that all shorts of wars and related ills like violence, subjugation, exploitation would eventually outdated and outlawed, and relation between the peoples and countries would be based upon love and mutual respect. In stead, strong nations are all out to destroy that hope and dream.

I think that we the people all over that should not remain indifferent or resigned. It is our problem first and we should have united and organized voice to solve this problem. We can solve the problem if we are really determined. Our solidarity would certainly discourage those in the business of war preparations and war rhetoric.

To all suicide bombers or would-be ones,

To be ready even to die for the benefit of all is glorious. But to die to  kill and destroy others, especially the innocent civilians and human gains is nonsense, ignominious generating extreme aversion among all who could think. Do not shame yourself and human conscience by destroying yourself to destroy others or to bring about terror and atrocities. In Nepal we call the tendency to kill oneself to kill others is to mortgage one's own conscience to the stupid. I hope that people would no longer be susceptible to such nasty mind-set.

Self-emulation in Vietnam in 60s was effective to force the public opinion in US to become sensitive to reason, peace and non-aggression. That emulation did not bring about death of others or atrocities.Even that episode was unfortunate and non-justifiable. With a greater faith on the solidarity of the people in the world would be as much effective.

In Nepal too, about a hundred years ago, the great first revolutionary Guru, Lady Yog Maya, jumped over the swirling river with a slogan, "It is a shame to become subject in a country ruled by despots who force injustices -slavery, inequality and untauchability". Although she advised her followers not to imitate her sacrifice 63 of her followers including her doughtier jumped. All except one died. The survived one (female) continued to live for 90 plus years but as deranged person. That episode although remembered by many as heroic deeds only helped the same despots to rule longer against which she sacrificed and the rulers continued their rule with greater cruelty living the people further terrified and helpless.

In this context we strongly condemn the Chechen rebels taking hostage of innocent people in Moscow. Shame to those terrorists and deepest sympathy to the innocent victims.

Sincerely,

Professor Mathura P. Shrestha,
President, Physicians for Social Responsibility, Nepal; and
Chairperson, People's Health National Coordination Committee, Nepal.