PHA-Exchange> DG-WHO debate

Dr. Qasem Chowdhury gksavar at citechco.net
Mon Oct 14 23:55:14 PDT 2002

DG - WHO Debate

The Lancet is starting an internet discussion on the election of DG
Brundtlands successor, at next WHO Executive Board meeting in January 2002.
Nominations will close in November . There are several persons who announced
candidacy including Dr. Mocumbi, Peter Piot of UNAIDS and Bernard Kouchner
of Medecin Sans Frontiere. There may be others who name yet to be known

Lancet has devoted a special section  to the election campaign.
The Lancet writes:
"We want to foster greater debate about the direction of global health in
the 21st century and WHO's role in steering the best course. To start that
debate, we invite readers to send in their comments
(e-mail:whodg at lancet.com). All
messages sent to this address will be posted on our website each week. Those
individuals with the privilege of electing the next Director-General of WHO
also carry a great responsibility--we hope that our coverage and your
comments can help inform their decision."

  It would be good to put views of PHM for discussion of the DG,
PHM needs some Brief views on health policy issues for the new DG to be.
Please send your views to the PHM Secretariat. A small committee will go
through them and finalise a combined message. Bala has already volunteered
to be
a member of the small committe to prepare the combined input. Others who
are interested
to join the committee, please contact Bala. His email : haiap at eureka.lk >  or
K Bala <kbala12 at yahoo.com>

Please take a look (www.thelancet.com) and share your views.