PHA-Exchange> When the guardian devours the constitution

Mathura P Shrestha mathura at healthnet.org.np
Fri Oct 4 19:40:16 PDT 2002

Dear All
Nepal's constitution provided uniquely honorable place for the
constitutional monarchy as the guardian of the constitution. When that honor
and respect is misused the resulting misadventure will not only destroy the
constitution but also the very fundamental tenets of democracy, human
rights, trust of the people, and in fact the very justification (Auchityata)
of monarchy. Nepal has returned to the stifling of democracy in 19050/51
(2008 BS) when the promised constitutional assembly and democratic processes
were unconstitutionally buried. Recent undigestible and queries activities
of foreign bigwigs in Nepal also indicate that there may be foul play to
turn Nepal into another Sikkim in addition to the destruction of the
constitution, democracy, political parties and leadership. In fact, long
before this time many ass-lickers, revivalists, reactionaries, plotters and
'rakamis' were ganging up to destroy the constitution by calling it an
unreformable document and by juggling the words and letters in constitution
to destroy the very spirit and tenets of the constitution. I was one of the
11 signatories as the ministers in the Interim government to put life to the
present constitution. I want to remind my speech in a mass meting in
Open-air Theater in Tundikhel immediately after the signing ceremony - "The
constitution is the best in SE Asia as far as human rights and people's
democratic rights are concerned. But it is not a perfect document in can not
be. As there are already some fallacies in it,  can be called only a
contract of compromise which may be appropriate for the time being. If the
constitution is not put to the test constantly and reformed or changed with
the needs and aspiration of the people it will remain only a scratch of
paper. Unpragmatic and inflexible traits will kill the constitution".

That feared catastrophic event came unexpectedly though surprisingly
yesterday. In such difficult time I appeal all to remain in solidarity and
committed for human rights and democracy.
Regards,
Mathura.