PHA-Exchange> Poor Human right situation - our observation

Mathura P Shrestha mathura at healthnet.org.np
Sat Sep 28 19:03:44 PDT 2002

Dear All
We had been to Mid  and Far Western Regions of Nepal for 3 weeks recently. I
want to disseminate some concerns of the local people. These are really
shocking:

1. One of the common compulsion the local people expressed - "All victims
resulting from the 'actions' of security forces of the Government are
labeled as 'Maoist' irrespective of any circumstance, and similarly all
victims resulting from Maoist's 'actions' are labeled 'spies'". "Is there
any thing like justice and common sense? Does a person have any thing like
human rights after death ?" - They ask.

2. "The Maoists are underground in district headquarters and  the government
and workers and members of other parties are underground outside the
district headquarters. We are forced to comply the security forces in the
district headquarters and to Maoists outside these. Nobody cares the risks
we run. We are used to swallow the insults and pains of human rights
violations".

3. " We have cut-short 'justices' and legal aid is extremely difficult if
not impossible. We are used to hearing many unpleasant news. It does not
matter if these are believed. Who cares?".

4. "Everybody here wants ceasefire and dialogue for peace. Hope for these
are the ones helping to keep us alive."

5. "If party workers and possible candidates are not able to visit or do not
visit their constituencies how election will be possible?"

Regards,

Mathura P. Shrestha.