PHA-Exchange> A report from Ani Whibey in Brazil

Maria Hamlin Zuniga iphc at cablenet.com.ni
Sat Sep 14 02:11:29 PDT 2002

                                      MPH UPDATE FROM BRASIL

                                              September 10, 2002

For the past four weeks, PHM has doubled its efforts and participation in
the National Campaign against ALCA and the use of the Space Base in
Alcântara (CLA) Maranhão, by the USA military. The take over by USA military
of the Space base would give them full control over all of Latin America,
being situated as it is over the equator and at the entrance of the Amazon .
Anyone caring for specifics, please write.

All of Latin America is into the Campaign with each country responsible for
its own methods. Here in Brasil, PHM is part of the State coordination for
Maranhão. Since April, we have worked to prepare the entire population for a
PLEBLISCITO scheduled for the “Semana da Pátria” (National Week), September
1 to 7; the 7th being Independence Day and the “Grito dos Excluidos” (Cry of
the Excluded).

Gathering signatures for voting had us working day and night.   The 3
questions on the slate
were:
Should the Brasilian Government sign the Free Trade Agreement for the
Americas (ALCA)?
Should the Brasilian Government continue participating in the negotiations
of ALCA ?
Should the Brasilian Government hand over a part of our national
territory –the Space Base in Alcântara- to USA military control?
All 3 questions had a “yes” and “no” square to be checked.  All returns in
the country were due in Monday, September 9th.

During this period, PHM delivered 100 copies of the Charter at various
gatherings with explanation of its origin and our movement. Some of these
groups included the Federal University, department of Nursing where we
distributed copies of the Alma-Ata document also, Law Department, Human
Rights Association, Church groups, Women groups and High School students.
We circulated a new flyer informing of our Global Campaign for 2003.

A new PHM committee is being born for Solidarity with Palestine. Study of
the charter is stimulating enthusiasm for ACTION.  We are in contact with
the Palestine Ambassador and other Palestinian organizations here in Brasil,
in order to organize for joint actions..

The National Coordinator of MORHAN, Artur Custódio M de Sousa, has sent for
copies of the Charter. He received my address from Deolinda of AFIO who was
with us at the WHA in Geneva. Artur is also on the Brasilian National
Council for Health and a member of the Global Alliance for Eliminating
Hansen Disease.
These copies are being sent, both by electronic mail and hard copies that
have been printed

Copies of the Charter are in the hands of several National Organizations who
are participating in the preparation for the World Social Forum in Porto
Alegre in 2003

Blessings and health to all.   Ani Caroline Wihbey, SND